Today, I’m off to Boulder to meet Holly Clegg, cookbook author and occasional guest poster here at This Mama Cooks! She’s doing several book signings here in Colorado to support her new women's lifestyle cookbook: Too Hot in the Kitchen: Secret To Sizzle At Any Age. Check out her blog, The Healthy Cooking Blog and her website, HollyClegg.com, to find out if she’s doing any book signings or TV and radio appearances near you.
I love how Holly takes something not-so-healthy and makes it good for you. This recipe is from her cookbook, Gulf Coast Favorites.
Shrimp Deluxe Pizza
No need to order out for pizza when you can easily have hot-out-of-the-oven pizza in the comfort of your own home. Shrimp and a great assortment of my favorite fresh ingredients make this an amazing pizza. For a vegetarian pizza, simply omit the shrimp.
Makes 6–8 slices
- 1 (12-inch) thin pizza crust (use my healthy whole wheat pizza dough recipe)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
- 1/4 pound sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 pound medium peeled shrimp, seasoned and cooked
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced or1 cup shredded, part-skim, mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven 400°F. Coat crust with oil and garlic. Sprinkle with basil.
- In a small nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, sauté mushrooms bout 5 minutes or until tender. Add spinach, stirring until wilted.
- Evenly spoon spinach mixture over crust and top with remaining ingredients. Bake 8–10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and crust
Terrific Tidbit: Fresh mozzarella cheese has a different texture and taste than packaged mozzarella cheese. It is slightly higher in fat but I think it is worth the flavor.
Per slice: Calories 189 | Calories from fat 35% | Fat 8 g Saturated Fat 3 g | Cholesterol 65 mg | Sodium 265 mg Carbohydrate 17 g | Dietary Fiber 1 g | Sugars 2 g | Protein 13 g
Diabetic Exchanges - 1 starch | 1 1/2 medium-fat meat
Weight Watchers POINTS = 4
Picture by Holly Clegg.