Part of the reason I write this blog is to encourage myself as well as others to eat in a more healthful way. You can learn more about my healthy eating and fitness philosophy at my interview at Bizymoms.
To inspire you to start your day off the right way, check out this muffin recipe from the weight loss experts at the Mayo Clinic and Donald Hensrud, M.D., M.P.H., authors of TThe Mayo Clinic Diet: Eat Well. Enjoy Life. Lose Weight.
I bet the kids would like this one, too! Sneak in a couple of teaspoonfuls of ground flaxseed or Salba seeds for extra fiber and Omega-3s.
Morning Glory Muffins
Prep: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
Makes 18 small muffins
- 1 c. all-purpose (plain) flour
- 1 c. whole-wheat flour
- ¾ c. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¾ c. egg substitute
- ½ c. vegetable oil
- ½ c. unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 c. chopped apples, unpeeled
- ½ c. raisins
- ¾ c. grated carrots
- 2 tbsp. chopped pecans (omit if you have nut allergies)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
- In a bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Whisk to blend evenly.
- In a separate bowl, add egg substitute, oil, applesauce and vanilla. Stir in apples, raisins and carrots. Add to the flour mixture and blend just until moistened but still slightly lumpy.
- Spoon the batter into muffin cups, filling each cup about 2/3 full. Sprinkle with chopped pecans and bake until springy to the touch, about 35 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, then transfer the muffins to a wire rack and let cool completely. Serve.
- Calories 170
- Protein 3 g
- Carbohydrate 25 g
- Total Fat 7 g
- Monounsaturated Fat 2 g
- Saturated Fat 1 g
- Cholesterol trace
- Sodium 195 mg
- Fiber 2 g
Weight Watchers POINTS = 3 per muffin
Reprinted from The Mayo Clinic Diet, © 2010 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research. Published by Good Books (www.GoodBooks.com). Used by permission. All rights reserved.
All links to Barnes & Nobles are affiliate links. A commission may be earned from a referred sale to their website.