First, how to poach an egg. If you’ve seen the movie Julie and Julia, you know how hard it is to poach an egg in boiling water. Here’s a video from Oakland Tribune Food Editor Jenny Slafkosky showing you how:
My mom always used stove top egg poachers. But since I don’t have one, I like to make them in custard cups in the microwave ever since I saw Katie Couric cooking them this way on the Today Show.
I usually coat the inside of the custard cup in PAM, which makes removing the egg much easier. Be forewarned that if you cook them too long or your microwave is powerful, the egg could explode. Been there, done that – what a mess!
Eggs Florentine with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
20 minutes 4 servings 175 calories MUFA: Pesto
Now that we’ve figured out how to make poached eggs, here’s a Flat Belly Diet recipe that is low in calories, fat and Weight Watchers POINTS.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 package (9 ounces) prewashed spinach
- 1/3 cup fat-free Greek-style yogurt
- ¼ cup sun-tried tomato pesto
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 whole grain English muffins, split and toasted
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high head. Add the spinach and cook until wilted.
2. Combine the yogurt and pesto. Stir ¼ cup into the spinach and remove from the heat. Cover to keep warm.
3. Meanwhile, heat a medium saucepan containing 1” of water to a boil over high heat. Add the vinegar and salt and reduce the heat to low. Break an egg into a custard cup and gently tip the egg into the water. Repeat with the remaining 3 eggs. Cover and simmer, shaking the pan 2 or 3 times, for 3 to 5 minutes for a soft-cooked yolk or until the whites are completely set and the yolks begin to thicken.
4. Place an English muffin half on each of 4 warm plates. Spoon ¼ of the spinach onto each muffin. Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon, and drain over paper towels (still in the spoon), before placing on the spinach.
5. Stir 1 tablespoon of the poaching liquid into the yogurt mixture to make it smoother. Spoon evenly over each egg and grind some pepper over the top.
- 175 calories
- 12 g protein
- 21 g carbohydrates
- 6 g fat
- 2 g saturated fat
- 212 mg cholesterol
- 462 mg sodium
- 5 g fiber
Weight Watchers POINTS = 3