Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Tacos are always a go-to meal at my house when I don’t know what else to make.
That’s because they’re so quick and easy to put together in the morning.
I stock up on pork loin when it’s on sale and keep several in the freezer just to make shredded pork tacos when I’m all out of ideas for dinner.
This pulled pork taco recipe has become such a family and friend favorite that I make it for parties and potlucks, too!
Make crock-pot pulled pork tacos for family taco night
The beauty of Family Taco Night is that it’s easy to put together, quick to clean up, and everyone can usually find something they like to eat.
With that in mind, my crock-pot pulled pork tacos recipe isn’t too spicy – unless you like your pulled pork tacos that way!
While I use ground chipotle chile pepper along with diced green chilies in my shredded pork tacos, you have the option of turning up the heat by adding some cayenne pepper or jalapeno chilies if you wish.
I also use smoked paprika, so you get the smoky taste of pulled pork tacos done in a grill or smoker without the hassle of setting one up!
Plus, what could be easier to clean up than shredded pork tacos made in a slow cooker, especially if you use a slow cooker liner!
How do you serve your shredded pork tacos?
I like serving pulled pork tacos on warm soft corn tortillas street taco style with the following toppings:
● chopped cilantro
● salsa – sweet, verde and/or fresca
● shredded Mexican-style cheese
● crumbled queso fresca
● wedges of lime
● diced tomatoes
● slices of avocado
● chopped green onions
● non-fat Greek yogurt
I love my tortilla warmer! So much better than keeping them warm (and drying them out) in the oven!
More ways to serve up pulled pork tacos!
It seems you cannot get a pork loin smaller than six pounds where I live. People are serious about their shredded pork recipes around these parts!
If you have the same situation in your hometown, that means you’ll have plenty of pulled pork leftovers after Family Taco Night. Here are some serving and recipe ideas besides pulled pork tacos:
● shredded pork burritos
● the leftover pork meat can be reheated in a skillet along with eggs and potatoes as a breakfast hash
● pork leftovers can be added to a big pot of Pozole Soup
● pulled pork sandwiches – use enchilada or a spicy mole sauce instead of barbecue sauce
This Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Tacos recipe is incredibly versatile, so I’m sure you’ll think of many ways to serve it up!
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Tacos Recipe
- 1 (6-pound) pork loin
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (4-ounce) cans diced green chilies
- 4 tablespoons stevia or powdered monk fruit sweetener
- 2 teaspoons ground chipotle chile pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Cut the pork loin into 3 or more pieces so it will cook more quickly. Place pork in your slow cooker.
- Place canned tomatoes, chilies, and seasonings in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Stir until combined.
- Pour spicy tomato mixture over the pork, evenly covering it.
- Place lid on slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours or until pork is tender enough to pull apart with a fork.
- When cooked through, remove pork from slow cooker and place in a large casserole dish. Pull apart – or shred – pork with two meat forks.
- Strain the liquid from the slow cooker to capture smaller pieces of pork and diced tomato. Set reserved liquid aside.
- Place shredded pork and tomatoes back into crock. Taste meat. If you feel it's a bit dry add some of the reserved liquid and mix in. (Toss remaining liquid.) Cover crock with lid and turn slow cooker off.
- Place pulled pork and your favorite taco fillings in to the corn tortillas. Enjoy!
- Serving size: 1/4 to 1/8 of recipe
Originally published on May 10, 2013 and February 17, 2016. Updated with new information and pictures.