Unfortunately, this pumpkin pie mousse recipe isn't low calorie due to the coconut cream. So watch your portions!
This Creamy Coconut Pumpkin Pie Mousse recipe is as easy to make since it only contains four ingredients and is no bake.
However, it does take a little bit of planning as you have to put the can of coconut cream in the refrigerator overnight.
If you’re dairy free, just start keeping a can or two of the coconut cream in the refrigerator. That way, you always have some ready to go to make “whipped cream” for desserts or in this case for Creamy Coconut Pumpkin Pie Mousse!
Creamy Coconut Pumpkin Pie Mousse would also make a wonderful no bake pumpkin pie filling recipe! To keep it gluten free, use a gluten free pie crust.
A note on using coconut cream in this dairy free pumpkin pie mousse recipe
Coconut cream is thicker than coconut milk because it contains less water. Some brands may contain thickeners like xanthan gum, which are fine. However, stay away from any brands with sugar as those are usually meant for making pina coladas.
You can also use full fat coconut milk in the Gluten Free Deep Dish Pumpkin & Coconut Cream Pie recipe.
Just pour off any coconut water you’ll find after refrigerating overnight. (Save the coconut water for smoothies or soups!) You won’t get as much cream as a full can of coconut cream, so use less sugar.
Using sugar substitutes in Creamy Coconut Pumpkin Pie Mousse
When it comes to using sugar substitutes, I’m all about using products that you feel comfortable serving to your family. I use both natural and conventional sugar substitutes in my cooking and make no judgments in what you should use at your home.
Originally, this recipe called for powdered stevia instead of sugar. Some people find stevia is somewhat bitter, but I didn’t notice that in this pumpkin pie mousse recipe.
These are my favorite stevia brands:
If you don’t like sugar substitutes – for whatever reason – feel free to use regular sugar.
Speaking of adding to taste, one reader commented that she thought I used too much pumpkin pie spice in my Creamy Coconut Pumpkin Pie Mousse recipe.
You may want to start with 1 tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice. Have a taste. Then add a few more teaspoons more to your liking.
Creamy Coconut Pumpkin Pie Mousse
- 1 (15 ounce) can organic pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup powdered stevia, monk fruit or sugar substitute
- 1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut cream
- Place can of unsweetened coconut cream in refrigerator overnight.
- Place bowl and wire whip beater from your stand mixer in refrigerator for 15 minutes to chill.
- Put pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, and sugar substitute in a large bowl. Mix until ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.
- Prepare the coconut whipped cream by spooning the chilled coconut cream into the chilled bowl. Whip on medium high like you would whipping cream until it’s light and fluffy and soft peaks form. Do not overbeat.
- Gently fold coconut whipped cream into pumpkin mixture until well blended. Place bowl in refrigerator for 15 minutes while you clean up. Dish into bowls and serve.
- Serving size: 1/6 of recipe
Originally published on November 4, 2014. Updated with new pictures and information.