Now that summer’s here I was eager to try out some of the coconut milk and orange popsicles I’ve been eyeing in the freezer section of my grocery store. Then I saw the prices (so expensive!) and decided to make my own ice pops!
Cooling down with healthy, stevia-sweetened fruit popsicles
So I decided to sweeten my orange coconut popsicles with little bit of liquid stevia. The kids loved it! I thought it was as delicious (and way cheaper) than the store bought ones, too.
You can use vanilla soy milk instead of coconut milk, just leave out the vanilla extract. If you don’t have food sensitivities or allergies to milk, go ahead and use skim or low fat milk.
Valencia orange tips
- Fresh Valencia juice may be squeezed and refrigerated overnight. If tightly covered and immediately chilled, no loss of flavor or Vitamin C will occur.
- Fresh juice packs nutritional power and great taste into all kinds of fruit smoothies. Start with 1/2 cup of juice and 1/2 cup of diced orange in a blender. Add a peeled banana, some frozen berries and 1/2 cup of yogurt.
- Valencias are especially good to eat when cut into "smiles." Cut fruit in half crosswise; then cut 3 or 4 wedges from each half.
- Peeling Valencias is easy. Just trim a thin slice from each end of the fruit, then set orange on one end. Cut away strips of peel from top to bottom, until all peel is removed
Sugar Free Dairy Free Orange Coconut Popsicles
- 2 Sunkist Valencia oranges, peeled, segmented and seeds removed
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (gluten free)
- 1/4 teaspoon teaspoon liquid stevia extract
- Combine ingredients in a blender or food processor.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into popsicle molds and freeze overnight (at least 8 hours).
- To release popsicles, place molds under running hot water until popsicle releases.
- Serving size: 1 popsicle
- Calories: 104
- Calories from Fat: 61
- Total Fat: 6.7g
- Saturated fat: 5.9g
- Unsaturated fat: .8g
- Sodium: 4mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 11.2g
- Sugar: 8.6g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 1.4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg