Here in Georgia, we’re winding down the school year, so that means end of the year fundraisers and celebrations. With so many kids and parents eating gluten free, luckily Pillsbury™ makes gluten free premium cake mixes, brownie mix, cookie mixes, and frostings. So now gluten free goodies like my Gluten Free Espresso Brownie Cupcakes with Dulce de Leche Frosting are easy enough for anyone to make – and for all to enjoy.
That’s right, these gluten free espresso brownie cupcakes are made from gluten free Pillsbury™ brownie mix. And the dulce de leche frosting is made from Pillsbury™ frosting. All you need are a couple of extra ingredients to add to these easy brownie cupcakes and you have fancy bakery style cupcakes!
These easy brownie cupcakes are ideal for school bake sales, teacher appreciation gifts, and end of the year school banquets. Once they taste these Gluten Free Espresso Brownie Cupcakes with Dulce de Leche Frosting, people won’t believe these they’re gluten free let alone not made from scratch!
I also like baking brownie cupcakes for cookouts and potlucks as they’re “self-serve” – no need to hunt around for a knife for cutting the brownies! (Doesn’t it drive you crazy when someone scratches up your non-stick baking pan with a butcher knife?)
One stop shopping for Gluten Free Espresso Brownie Cupcakes!
Like my Gluten Free Surprise Inside Jelly Bean Cake, the supplies for my brownie mix cupcakes were all bought at Walmart. First, there was the Pillsbury™ Gluten Free Premium Chocolate Fudge Brownie Mix with Chocolate Chips. I love that it already has chocolate chips in the mix so you don’t have to add any yourself. This makes the Gluten Free Espresso Brownie Cupcakes even better than I planned!
The gluten free brownie cupcake mix is located right in the baking aisle (not in the gluten free section). I always like stocking up on Pillsbury™ gluten free brownie mix as you never know when you need to make up some gluten free brownies or brownie cupcakes. I always stock up on Pillsbury™ Funfetti® Vanilla Flavored Frosting, too, since it goes with anything you’re baking up. Plus, you can jazz it up, like I did with my Gluten Free Espresso Brownie Cupcakes with Dulce de Leche Frosting. This Pillsbury™ Funfetti® Frostings are gluten free like all of Pillsbury™’s frostings.
One of my favorite flavors is dulce de leche, which is caramelized sweetened condensed milk. You can find all sorts of recipes online to make your own. However, if you don’t want to make your own for this easy brownie cupcake recipe, I found two brands of dulce de leche syrup at Walmart – one in the Hispanic section and another in the coffee aisle of my store.
Instant espresso powder can be found in the coffee aisle. However, I don’t always find it at every Walmart I shop at, so you may need to buy this at your grocery store instead.
You can find cupcake liners in the baking section and the cake decorating section at Walmart. Sometimes they even have brownie cupcake liners with the cooking accessories, so look around. (It’s like a treasure hunt!)
This Mama’s tips for making gluten free brownie cupcakes
Want to dial up the coffee flavor and caffeine even more? Use strong coffee instead of water in these brownie mix cupcakes!
Looking for more brownie cupcake ideas? Try instant chai mix instead of espresso powder.
Don’t like the dark brownie cupcakes showing through your cupcake liner? Bake one layer. Then after your easy brownie cupcakes cool, place them in a second pretty cupcake liner before frosting. That way the outer liner is fresh looking and perfect for bake sales or serving to guests at your cookout.
Double check your dulce de leche label for gluten.
If you want to pipe your frosting, make sure to refrigerate it at least 30 minutes after mixing in the dulce de leche syrup. This way the frosting will stiffen up a bit and will be easier to handle when you pipe it on the Gluten Free Espresso Brownie Cupcakes.
If you buy a Pillsbury™ Funfetti® Vanilla Flavored Frosting instead of Pillsbury™ Creamy Supreme® Vanilla Frosting (either will work) save the sprinkles for another baking recipe. Or put them ice cream sundaes!
Discover more ways to #MixUpAMoment with Pillsbury™ gluten free mixes!
Gluten Free Espresso Brownie Cupcakes with Dulce de Leche Frosting
- 1 box Pillsbury™ Gluten Free Premium Chocolate Fudge Brownie Mix with Chocolate Chips
- 2-3 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 egg
- 1 can Pillsbury™ Funfetti® Vanilla Flavored Frosting or Pillsbury™ Creamy Supreme® Vanilla Frosting
- 3 tablespoons dulce de leche syrup
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line muffin tin with paper baking cup liners to make 8 regular-size cupcakes.
- Combine brownie mix, espresso powder, oil, water, and egg in a large bowl. Stir 50 strokes with a spoon.
- Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full with brownie mix.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool brownie cupcakes in pans 10 minutes. Then transfer cupcakes to a cooling rack to cool for 30 minutes.
- While the brownie cupcakes are cooking, spoon the frosting into a medium sized bowl. Add the dulce de leche syrup. Stir with a rubber spatula until the syrup is thoroughly mixed into the frosting.
- Spoon frosting back into the original container. Place lid back on. Refrigerate until brownie cupcakes have cooled.
- Transfer the frosting to frosting piping bag fitted with large star tip. Pipe the frosting in a circular pattern on tops of cupcakes. Or you can frost cupcakes with an offset spatula instead.
- Store cupcakes at room temperature or in the refrigerator before serving.
- Serving size: 1 brownie cupcake
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of The J.M. Smucker Company. The opinions and text are all mine.