Tacos are always a go-to meal at my house when I don’t know what else to make, whether it’s fish tacos with a little homemade queso fresca, grilled carne asada tacos, or ground meat with taco seasoning. That’s why when The Motherhood asked me to cook up a Taco Night recipe with McCormick spices, I was happy to join in.
The beauty of a Family Taco Night is that it’s easy to make, easy to clean up, and everyone can usually find something they like to eat. With that in mind, I chose to do a pulled pork in my slow cooker using several spices from McCormick’s Gourmet Collection like Smoked Paprika, Chipotle Chile Pepper, and Sicilian Sea Salt along with Ground Cumin and Garlic Powder from their regular line. (Some of the McCormick spices I already had in my kitchen cabinet. Others were sent to me by The Motherhood.) I figured the smokiness of several of the spices would give the feeling of smoked pulled pork without the hassle. Plus, what could be easier to clean up than a slow cooker?
(Here's a recipe for smoked pulled pork done in a smoker that's almost as easy.)
How do you serve your tacos?
I like serving my tacos on warm soft corn tortillas street taco style with the following toppings:
- chopped cilantro straight from the garden
- salsa – sweet, verde and/or fresca
- Mexican hot sauce
- shredded Mexican-style cheese
- crumbled queso fresca
- wedges of lime
- diced tomatoes
- slices of avocado
- chopped green onions
Feel free to use any or all of your favorite toppings along with my Slow Cooker Spicy Pulled Pork Tacos. Or you can make a taco bowl on white or brown rice or pulled pork burritos. Leftover pulled pork can also be reheated with eggs and potatoes in a breakfast hash style dish.
You’ll probably notice that I made a huge amount of pulled pork in my large, six-quart Crockpot, since you cannot get a pork shoulder smaller than six pounds here in Georgia. It’s barbecue season and people are serious about their Boston butt around these parts! If you have the same situation in your hometown, feel free to save this recipe for when you’re throwing a Taco Night party or freeze half the meat after cooking for a future Family Taco Night.
Slow Cooker Spicy Pulled Pork Tacos
- 1 (6-pound) pork shoulder (also called, “Boston butt”)
- 2 (14-ounce) cans petite diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 2 teaspoons McCormick Smoked Paprika
- 2 teaspoons McCormick Chipotle Chile Pepper
- 2 teaspoons McCormick Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Cumin
- 4 tablespoons coconut palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Sicilian Sea Salt
- Trim any extra fat off of the pork shoulder and place it in your slow cooker.
- Place canned tomatoes and seasonings in a medium sized bowl. Stir until combined.
- Pour spicy tomato mixture over the pork shoulder, evenly covering it.
- Place lid on slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours or until pork is tender enough to pull apart with a fork.
- When cooked through, removed shoulder from slow cooker and place on a large carving board or platter.
- Pull apart – or shred – pork with two forks. Remove any bones and discard.
- Strain the liquid from the slow cooker to capture smaller pieces of pork and the diced tomato.
- Place shredded pork in an oven safe dish and add tomatoes. Cover dish with foil and keep on warm in the oven until serving time.
- Place pulled pork and your favorite taco fillings on your tortilla of choice. Enjoy!
- Serving size: 1/4 to 1/8 of recipe