There is nothing quite like a big slice of watermelon on a sizzling summer day. An excellent source of antioxidants, Vitamin C and lycopene, not to mention watermelon is naturally sweet and so juicy! In the Spinach and Melon Salad with Honey Citrus Vinaigrette, melon is a fun surprise ingredient in this delightful, colorful salad. A must-try for that leftover refreshing watermelon! And, now finally the perfect solution to leftover watermelon!!!
Spinach and Melon Salad with Honey Citrus Vinaigrette
Looking for a great summer salad that’s refreshing, colorful, and jam-packed with flavor? Here it is! Give your taste buds a thrill with this fruity spinach salad accented with Maple Pecans, if desired.
Makes 6 servings
- 1 (6-ounce) package fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup cubed seeded watermelon
- 1 cup cubed cantaloupe
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- Honey Citrus Vinaigrette (recipe below)
- Maple Pecans (optional, recipe below)
- In large bowl, combine together all ingredients. Toss with Honey Citrus Dressing (recipe below) and Maple Pecans (recipes below).
Honey Citrus Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Salt and pepper
- Dash hot sauce
- In small bowl, whisk together all ingredients.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 77, Calories from fat (%) 28, Fat (g) 3, Saturated Fat (g) 0, Cholesterol (mg) 0, Sodium (mg) 29, Carbohydrate (g) 14, Dietary Fiber (g) 1, Sugars (g) 11, Protein (g) 2, Diabetic Exchanges: 1 carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
Simple and adds that extra enticing crunch and sweetness to any salad or use as a snack.
- 1/4 cup pecan halves
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In small bowl, mix together pecans and maple syrup. Spread on prepared pan. Bake 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
Nutritional information per serving of Maple Pecans: Calories 40, Calories from fat (%) 72, Fat (g) 3, Saturated Fat (g) 0, Cholesterol (mg) 0, Sodium (mg) 0, Carbohydrate (g) 3, Dietary Fiber (g) 0, Sugars (g) 2, Protein (g) 0, Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 fat
Picture courtesy of Holly Clegg and used with permission.