These Peppermint Thumbprint Hershey Kiss Cookies are divine – soft, moist and buttery with a bit of crunch from the sparkly sugar on the outside.
You’ll love baking these gluten free Hershey Kiss sugar cookies this holiday season for cookie swaps and Christmas parties.
That’s because this easy thumbprint cookies with Hershey Kisses recipe can be quickly made from ingredients you probably already have in the pantry or can quickly pick up at the store.
It’s convenient, too, since a batch can be made in about 40 minutes including cool down time.
Cook up a batch of holiday thumbprint cookies after dinner. Or if you don’t mind waking up early, you can bake up some in the morning before going to school or work.
Festive thumbprint Hershey kiss cookies for the holidays
Hershey thumbprint cookies are so much fun for the Christmas holidays with the addition of Hershey’s Candy Cane Holiday Kisses.
During the holidays, I always have candy dishes around with several varieties of Hersey’s Kisses.
I adore the red striped peppermint ones most of all. They’re so pretty, which is why I love them in these cookies with Hershey kiss inside.
Gift giving: These peppermint Hershey kiss cookies make a wonderful edible holiday gift for teachers, school bus drivers, grandparents, coaches, or friends.
Don’t forget to save a few for Santa, too!
Baking up a gluten free Hershey's thumbprint cookies recipe
Make mine gluten free please!
I wanted to make a thumbprint kiss cookies recipe that’s gluten free, since so many people are on gluten free diets these days.
But no need to worry if you’re baking for folks who aren’t gluten free.
These cookies are so yummy that no one will notice that they’re made with gluten free ingredients.
My favorite gluten free flour for cookie baking is is Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour, which measures and bakes up just like regular flour.
I always get great results with it.
Can you make dairy free thumbprint kiss cookies?
The dough for these thumbprint cookies is already dairy free, since I the recipe uses a vegan buttery spread and unsweetened coconut milk.
You can use another type of dairy free milk you wish, such as oatmeal or soy. Some people have allergies to soy or almond milk, which is why I feel coconut is the safest one to use.
Also, many kids don’t like coconut milk, but so little is used, you can’t taste it.
Kisses aren’t dairy free: Unfortunately, Hershey Candy Cane Holiday Kisses and all chocolate kisses – dark, regular and white chocolate – contain either non-fat milk or lactose, which is a milk sugar, i.e., dairy.
So don’t bake with Hershey’s kisses if you have a sensitivity to dairy.
Dairy free cookie fillings: As a dairy free alternative, add a square of dairy free dark chocolate in the middle instead of the kisses. It’s not as cute, but it’ll still taste good!
Or you could add a dollop of raspberry jam or strawberry sauce in the middle or pipe in some dairy free cake frosting.
More tips for making thumbprint kiss cookies
Decorative sugar: I used white decorative sparkling sugar to roll my cookies in. I love the big sugar crystals and how they made the outside of my cookies a bit crunchy!
You could also use colored sugar crystals. Get creative and mix it up!
Get your kisses ready to go! While the cookies are baking, unwrap your kisses.
You only want to let the cookies cool down 2 minutes when they come out of the oven before you plant them firmly in the center.
Not just for the Christmas holidays
These festive cookies aren’t just for Christmas. Change the colors and candies for any holiday on your baking list!
For example, roll the thumbprint cookie dough in orange decorative sugar and place a Rolo or Reese’s candy in the middle for Halloween.
The possibilities are endless!
More gluten free cookie recipes
Bake up these gluten free cookies for your holiday cookie exchange:
- 1/2 cup vegan (dairy free) buttery spread, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons gluten free vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill Decorative Sparkling Sugar
- 1 package Hershey's Candy Cane Holiday Kisses (approximately 48 candies per package)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix buttery spread, brown sugar, egg, vanilla, and coconut milk in a large bowl until well blended.
- In another bowl, stir together Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture a little at a time. Mix until well blended.
- Poor sparkling sugar on to a medium-sized plate. Using a small ice cream scoop, measure out dough into enough for a 1-inch ball. Roll the ball in sparkling sugar and place the cookie on a baking mat on a cookie sheet.
- Bake cookies for 8 minutes or until edges have browned slightly and the cookies have set.
- While cookies are baking, unwrap candies.
- Remove cookie sheet from the oven. Cool cookies for 2 minutes. Gently press a chocolate kiss into the center of each cookie. Using a spatula, carefully move cookies to cool on a wire rack.
As an Amazon Associate Affiliate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 55Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 23mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 0gSugar: 9gProtein: 1g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated per the ingredients list. Serving size may not be accurate. Please double-check with your preferred nutritional app for the most accurate information.
Originally posted on December 10, 2015 and November 29, 2017.
Updated with new pictures and information.