Today’s guest post from Holly Clegg is an Easy Burger Soup perfect for those dreary cold days when you don’t have much time to make dinner. A big pot of hearty Easy Burger Soup brewing on the stove will put a smile on everyone’s face. Soup’s also a terrific way to get vegetables into everyone’s diet without too many complaints!
I like serving this Easy Burger Soup in bowls, but my children always put it into mugs. I guess it gives them an excuse to drink every last drop!
What I also like about Easy Burger Soup is that I can make it with little advanced planning.I always have a tube of ground sirloin in the freezer and canned vegetables in my pantry. However, you can make it even easier by doubling the recipe and freezing half for another night when you don't ha
Best of all, Easy Burger Soup is gluten free!
Give Holly’s cookbooks for the holidays!
Easy Burger Soup is from the Holly Clegg trim&TERRIFIC Cookbook. Make sure to check out Holly’s other trim & TERRIFIC™ cookbooks on Amazon, too, since they make wonderful holiday gifts for anyone who loves to cook or who wants to start eating in a healthy way.
Some of my favorites are:
You can find more of Holly’s trim& TERRIFIC® recipes at The Healthy Cooking Blog, too!
Easy Burger Soup
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (141/2-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 4 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup sliced peeled carrots (in rings)
- (11-ounce) can corn, drained
- 1/3 cup rice, uncooked
- In large pot, cook meat, onion, and garlic until meat is done. Drain any excess liquid.
- Add tomato sauce, tomatoes, water, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, and carrots. Bring to boil, lower heat, cook 10 minutes.
- Add corn and rice, continue cooking over medium heat until rice is done and carrots are tender, 30 - 40 minutes. Add more water if too thick. Serve.
- Serving size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 160
- Calories from Fat: 25 (16%)
- Total Fat: 3g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Unsaturated fat: 2g
- Sodium: 482mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 14g
- Cholesterol: 30mg
Diabetic Exchanges: 1.5 very lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable
Recipe and photo used with permission of the author.