I adore rice crispie treats, but had to give them up when I went gluten free since most rice crispie cereals contain gluten. Unfortunately, usually gluten free rice crispie cereals are only available online or at health food stores. So when I saw the colorful bags of Quaker® Popped at Walmart in fun flavors like caramel corn and chocolate, I was inspired. Why not use this yummy gluten free product and turn it into Gluten Free Rice Crispie Treats?
The challenge was to turn a cookie sized rice crisp into a rice crispie size substance. I just poured the contents of one and a half bags of Quaker® Popped into a plastic ziplock baggie, closed it tightly, and crushed the mini crisps with a rolling pin. Enough for my recipe and I had a half a bag left over to snack on!
Now my other issue is that I’m a bit rice crispie treat challenged. Yes, I’ve suffered in the past from too hard rice crispie treats that could cause a trip to the orthodontist. Waaaa!
So I consulted with my favorite cooks on Pinterest and found some terrific rice crispie treat tips at Ella Claire Inspired and Life in the Lofthouse – line the pan with foil, use more marshmallows, less stirring and more folding, and less patting down, too. (All the tips worked, by the way!)
I was ready to make some awesome Gluten Free Rice Crispie Treats with Quaker® Popped Chocolate and Quaker® Popped Caramel Corn. But what flavor? Why not use both and make Gluten Free Caramel & Chocolate Rice Crispie Treats!
I love the colors, don’t you? Gluten Free Caramel & Chocolate Rice Crispie Treats make me think of fall. These would be perfect for Halloween parties or as Thanksgiving cookies. Why not make them for cookie exchanges or bake sales in one of Quaker® Popped other flavors like Apple Cinnamon or Kettle Corn.
Best of all, you can pick up all your gluten free cooking supplies on your next trip to Walmart. You can find Quaker® Popped in the snack section near the chips. Marshmallows are by the cake mixes. And look for the special gluten free section at Walmart. (Different stores put it in different places. My store has moved it a couple of times.) It’s filled with everything from cookies to cake mixes to pasta at terrific prices.
Go on a gluten free treasure hunt at Walmart
Next time you’re at Walmart with the kids, go on a gluten free treasure hunt. Have the kids point out all the gluten free products they can find as you go down the aisle. It’ll keep them occupied when you’re shopping.
You’ll be surprised where you’ll find your favorite gluten free brands. For example, I was thrilled to find Udi’s Gluten Free bread in the freezer section of my local Walmart. It was a dollar cheaper than at my grocery store, too. Now that’s what I call treasure hunting!
What flavor Quaker® Popped are you going to try first?
Gluten Free Caramel & Chocolate Rice Crispie Treats
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 bags Quaker® Popped Caramel Corn
- 1 1/2 bags Quaker® Popped Chocolate
- 10 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 (10 ounce) bags mini marshmallows, divided
- Line a 9x11-inch pan with foil and spray lightly with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place the contents of 1 1/2 bags of Quaker® Popped Caramel Corn into a large ziplock baggie. Close baggie tightly. Crush the mini crisps with a rolling pin until the mini crisps are the size of a rice crispie. Pour into a measuring cup. You should have 6 cups of crushed mini crisps.
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt 5 tablespoons of butter. When nearly melted, add 1 bag of mini marshmallows. Stir constantly until marshmallows are nearly melted. (A large heat resistant spatula is best for this.)
- Lower heat to medium low. Add crushed caramel mini crisps a few cups at a time. Fold and smooth the mixture. Repeat until all the crushed mini crisps have been added and mixed thoroughly into the melted butter and marshmallows.
- Place caramel mixture into pan and press down evenly. Do not over press or compact too much.
- While the first layer is cooling, crush 1 1/2 bags of Quaker® Popped Chocolate mini crisps.
- In the same pan (no need to wash it out) melt the remaining 5 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. When nearly melted, add the second bag of mini marshmallows. Stir constantly with your heat resistant spatula until marshmallows are nearly melted.
- Again, lower the heat to medium low. Add the crushed chocolate mini crisps a few cups at a time. Fold and smooth the mixture. Repeat until all the crushed mini crisps have been added and mixed thoroughly into the melted butter and marshmallows.
- Place chocolate mixture into pan and press down evenly. Do not over press or compact too much.
- Tear off a piece of foil that’s long enough to cover the pan. Spray with cooking spray. Place the foil spray side to cover the pan and let cool completely before cutting into squares. Serve and enjoy!
- Serving size: 1 crispie treat