I’ve been making a version of healthy WW Taco Soup for years based on the Weight Watchers Taco Soup recipe I learned about in a meeting a long time ago. This WW Taco Soup recipe soon became a family favorite. Over the years, I’ve tweaked it to make it even easier and healthier, so that I can quickly open about 6 cans of beans, tomato sauce, and even pureed pumpkin – and have a quick and delicious meal in about an hour.
This Easy and Healthy Taco Soup recipe is such a favorite that I make it about twice a month and my family doesn’t get bored. In fact, my kids thank me for making what they call, “The best taco soup recipe ever!”
I’ve healthed up the original WW Taco Soup recipe by eliminating the dry ranch dressing. Have you ever read what is in that? Either you buy the brand name stuff, which has buttermilk – not great for us lactose intolerant people. Or you buy the generic ranch dressing which is full of MSG, and I wouldn’t want in my healthy taco soup!
Instead, I’ve added more vegetables and fiber to this taco soup recipe by including canned pumpkin puree, canned beans, and canned corn. (You can also use frozen corn, if you wish.) I’ve also added diced fire roasted tomatoes with green chilies (or Ro*tel tomatoes for a spicy rotel taco soup) to give my Easy & Healthy Taco Soup a little heat. However, my son always adds even more heat by adding his favorite Mexican hot sauce!
This is the easiest stove top taco soup you can make. It’s also delicious, healthy, and your family will always be happy when they see that you’re cooking up a pot of their favorite and best homemade taco soup ever!
This Mama’s tips for making Easy & Healthy Taco Soup even better!
- You can use ground turkey, venison or lean beef.
- To make a vegetarian version use soy crumbles instead. Or leave out the “meat” altogether. The beans will give you plenty of vegetarian protein.
- Any type of canned beans are fine – kidney, pinto, garbanzo, black beans or a combination. Just make sure to rinse them well.
- Add cilantro, some shredded cheese, no fat Greek yogurt, slices of avocado, and a scoop of salsa as garnish. Yum!
- Double the taco soup recipe and freeze half for later. However, you’ll need a very large stock pot to cook it in! I already cook this in a 7 1/4 quart Le Creuset Dutch Oven.
- This is a great dish to make for a large group, potlucks or the parties.
- You can also make crock pot taco soup in your 6-Quart Crock Pot. Brown the ground meat and onion in a large skillet and then transfer it and add the rest of the ingredients to your slow cooker. Cook for 8 hours and serve.
- Stock up on pumpkin puree during Thanksgiving when it’s on sale to use during the year in your healthy taco soup!
- Add frozen vegetables to the taco soup to make it even more nutritious! No need to thaw the frozen vegetables either. Just add the frozen vegetables to the pot. I recommend frozen pepper strips.
- Most taco seasoning mixes are naturally gluten free, but they do contain whey so are NOT dairy free. If you want to avoid whey – and save some money, too – make your own homemade taco seasoning. Try my easy homemade taco seasoning recipe!
World’s Healthiest Taco Soup
- 1 pound lean ground meat
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 (10 ounce) can RO*TEL Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies (do not drain)
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans beans, rinsed
- 1 (16 ounce) can yellow corn, drained
- 1 packet or 1/3 cup taco seasoning mix
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Brown ground meat with one large diced onion in a large stew pot.
- Add rest of ingredients. Heat to boiling. Lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Serve.
- Serving size: 1/4 to 1/6 of recipe
Originally published on January 9, 2010. Updated with new pictures.
Le Creuset Signature Enameled Cast-Iron 7-1/4-Quart Round French (Dutch) OvenCrock-Pot SCCPVL600S Cook' N Carry 6-Quart Oval Manual Portable Slow Cooker, Stainless SteelFarmers Market Organic Pumpkin, 15-Ounce,(Pack Of 12)Rotel Original, Tomato & Green Chilies, Diced, 10oz Can (Pack of 4)