I bet that one of your new year’s resolutions is to eat healthier. After a very indulgent holiday season, it certainly is one of mine! We all need to try to consume at least five servings of fruit and vegetables each day to get a variety of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to keep from getting sick this winter. That’s why finding ways to include them in your cooking is so important.
One classic healthy food is 100% Florida orange juice. It’s an excellent source of vitamin C, folate, vitamin B6, and carotenoids. All help support the immune system to help the body’s natural ability to resist colds and flu.
Luckily, orange juice is fun and easy to cook with and to include in your diet. I use it in marinades, salad dressings, smoothies and sauces. But have you ever tried it in a tea latte?
Check out this recipe from Florida Citrus’ recipe database. Between the OJ and the green tea, it makes a terrific healthy indulgence. If you can’t drink almond milk due to a food sensitivity or nut allergy, try soy or coconut milk instead. (Low or non fat cow’s milk is fine, too, of course!) To reduce calories, use stevia or Splenda to taste instead of agave nectar or honey. Finally, to froth the milk without having to get your cappuccino maker out, use a hand held milk frother. I love using mine and it works well on alternative milks (at least temporarily), too!
Citrus White Tea Latte
- 2 cups 100% Florida orange juice
- 1 cup water
- 2 bags green or white tea
- 1/4 cup agave nectar or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- Orange curl for garnish, optional
- Cinnamon stick, optional
- In medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, heat orange juice, water and tea bags for 3 1/2 minutes on high.
- Stir in agave nectar, orange zest and cinnamon and let tea steep for 4 minutes, then remove tea bags; reserve and keep warm.
- In medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, heat milk in microwave on high for 70 seconds (to about 150˚F.)
- Beat hot milk with hand mixer (using just 1 beater) until frothy foam forms.
- Pour tea mixture into two large mugs and add frothy milk foam on top, dividing equally.
- Garnish with orange curl and cinnamon stick, if desired. Serve immediately.
- Serving size: 1 cup
Recipe and photograph used with permission.
Disclosure: Amazon links are affiliate links. A commission may be earned from a referred sale to their website.