If your family needs something a little more substantial than plain eggs in the morning, this breakfast egg casserole with ham, cheese and spinach. Prepare the night before and cook in the morning when you shower and dress.
Mini Italian Breakfast Casseroles
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoon of milk
- 1 tablespoon of grated Parmesan cheese
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup baby spinach, chopped
- 4 slices ham
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk eggs, milk, 1Tbsp. cheese and pepper in medium bowl until blended.
- Add spinach and stir into mix.
- Line four greased 10-ounce ramekins or custard cups with ham, pressing against bottoms and sides.
- Divide egg mixture among ramekins and place on a baking pan.
- Bake in center of 350°F oven until custard is just set, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes. Then sprinkle with remaining cheese.
This Mama’s Tips
- Cut slits in ham slices as needed to make it lie flat against the ramekins.
- Don't overcook or you have rubbery eggs.
- To lower the fat content substitute two of the eggs with 6 egg whites or 2/3 cup of liquid egg whites.
- Don’t have Parmesan cheese? You can substitute mozzarella or leave it completely out.
- Kids don’t like spinach? Puree the spinach then add to to the egg mixture. You now have green eggs and ham!
- These are also good cold (like a quiche) or heated back up for 30-60 minutes in the microwave.
Nutrition information per casserole
Calories: 115; total fat: 6 g; saturated fat: 2 g; polyunsaturated fat: 1 g; monounsaturated fat: 2 g; cholesterol: 226 mg sodium: 404 mg; carbohydrates: 2 g; dietary fiber: 0 g; protein: 13 g; vitamin A: 485.0 IU; vitamin D
Weight Watchers POINTS per casserole = 2
More healthy back to school breakfast ideas from This Mama Cooks!
- Back to school with a healthy breakfast: Coffee Cup Egg Scramble
- Blueberry Banana Muffins
- Raspberry Yogurt Muffins
- Healthy Scrambled Eggs to Go
- The Mayo Clinic’s Morning Glory Muffins
- Heart smart muffin recipe
- Whole grain breakfast cookies
- Roasted asparagus with green eggs and ham