I’ve been making Taco Soup for years based on the Weight Watchers recipe I learned about in my meetings a long time ago. It’s so delicious my family loves it, too. Over the years, I’ve changed it into “The World’s Healthiest Taco Soup” recipe.
Well, maybe I jest a little, but I’ve healthed up the taco soup by eliminating the dry ranch dressing, which was too fake in my opinion. I’ve added more vegetables and fiber by including pumpkin puree, canned beans and corn. (You can also use frozen corn, if you wish.) I’ve also added diced fire roasted tomatoes with green chilies to give the soup a little heat.
This Mama’s tips:
- You can use ground turkey, venison or lean beef.
- To make a vegetarian version use soy crumbles instead.
- Any type of canned beans are fine – kidney, pinto, garbanzo, black beans or a combination.
- Add cilantro, some shredded cheese, and a scoop of salsa as garnish.
- Double the recipe and freeze half for later.
- This is a great dish to make for a large group, potlucks or the parties.
- Note, most taco seasoning mixes are naturally gluten free, but they do contain whey so are NOT dairy free.
World’s Healthiest Taco Soup
- 1 pound lean ground meat
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies (do not drain)
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans beans, rinsed
- 1 (16 ounce) can yellow corn, drained
- 1 packet or 1/3 cup taco seasoning mix
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Brown ground meat with one large diced onion in a large stew pot.
- Add rest of ingredients. Heat to boiling. Lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Serve.
- Serving size: 1/4 to 1/6 of recipe