If you’re looking for a tabbouleh salad recipe with a twist, you should try this Hummus & Tabbouleh Salad. It’s from my contributor, Holly Clegg’s cookbook, Eating Well To Fight Arthritis: 200 Easy Recipes and Practical Tips to Help Reduce Inflammation and Ease Symptoms.
This layered mound of fantastic flavors makes a splendid Mediterranean tabbouleh salad. I know my family LOVES hummus especially when topped with feta cheese.
Serve this easy to make hummis & tabbouleh salad recipe as an appetizer with toasted pita bread, pita chips or bagel chips. That’s Holly’s recommendation. She told me when she made this for a party, everyone was raving about it.
Did you know that parsley is a good source of plant iron? One cup contains about 20% of your recommended daily allowance.
This Mama’s tips for making Hummus & Tabbouleh Salad
Then you can serve the Hummus & Tabbouleh Salad on brown rice tortillas or gluten free bread. If you make it into a hummus and feta dip, serve it with corn tortilla chips. (I know it mixed Greek and Mexican cuisines, but it works to keep it all GF!)
Hummus & Tabbouleh Salad
- 1 (5.25-ounce) box Tabbouleh mix wheat salad (makes 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup finely chopped cucumber
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley (flat leaf preferred)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (10-ounce) container roasted red pepper hummus
- 1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- In bowl, prepare tabbouleh mix according to package instructions. After water is absorbed, fluff with fork and add olive oil, mixing well.
- To tabbouleh, add red onion, tomatoes, cucumber, parsley, lemon juice and season to taste.
- On large serving plate, spread hummus, top with tabbouleh salad and sprinkle with feta. Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes before serving.
- Serving size: 1 cup
- Calories: 308
- Calories from Fat: 103 (34%)
- Total Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Unsaturated fat: 11g
- Sodium: 909mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 47g
- Sugar: 7g
- Fiber: 11g
- Protein: 9g
- Cholesterol: 3mg
Dietary Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 fat
Recipe and photo used with permission of the author.
Originally published on June 7, 2013. Republished with new pictures and information.