If you’re looking for a super healthy muffin recipe for breakfast, check out this Easy & Healthy Raspberry Yogurt Muffins recipe. It’s courtesy of my friend, David Grotto, and from his book, 101 Foods That Could Save Your Life.
He sent it to me to review and writes that these raspberry breakfast muffins help people with a variety of health issues. He recommends raspberries if you are having problems with cold hands and feet, constipation, or fatigue.
He also says the yogurt in this healthy yogurt muffin recipe is good for a variety of digestive issues like constipation, diarrhea, gas and bloating, or halitosis.
Dave says that yogurt can also help with acne, depression, infertility and osteoporosis.
Even if you don’t have any of these health problems, yogurt and raspberries make for a delicious raspberry yogurt muffins that you can enjoy for breakfast, a snack, or even dessert!
You should also check out his book The Best Things You Can Eat: For Everything from Aches to Zzzz, the Definitive Guide to the Nutrition-Packed Foods that Energize, Heal, and Help You Look Great for more healthy recipes and tips on living a healthy lifestyle.
Baking up some Easy & Healthy Raspberry Yogurt Muffins
Using raspberry yogurt doubles the raspberry flavor and a wonderful texture to these easy-to-make healthy raspberry yogurt muffins.
No need to thaw the raspberries for this super healthy muffin recipe. Just add the frozen raspberries straight from the freezer and mix them into the batter.
I love Bob's Red Mill Decorative Sugar and sometimes combine it with colored sugar for a fun look in my baking! It does add some extra calories, but I think it’s worth it.
This Mama’s tips on making a super healthy muffin recipe
● If you’re looking for a gluten free muffin recipe, substitute the wheat flour with an all purpose gluten free baking mix. Baked this way, Easy & Healthy Raspberry Yogurt Muffins made with would make a healthy gluten free snack!
● To lower calories and fat, try a no-fat raspberry yogurt. Another option would be using a no-fat raspberry Greek yogurt, which would give the muffins a slightly tart taste. Greek yogurt is higher in calories than yogurt, but it’s also higher in protein. That’s a win-win in my book!
● Thick Greek yogurt (plain or flavored) will also make a nice spread for the muffins and a lower fat alternative to butter.
Looking for more healthy muffin recipes? Then check these out!
Easy & Healthy Raspberry Yogurt Muffins
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (6 ounce) carton raspberry yogurt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup raspberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray, grease or put paper liners in 12 (2 3/4 inch) muffin cups.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, beat together yogurt, oil and egg.
- Stir yogurt mixture and raspberries into dry mixture until almost blended.
- Add raspberries and stir until batter is just blended. Do not over mix.
- Spoon into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake until nicely browned, about 20 minutes.
- Serving size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 160
- Total Fat: 6.76g
- Saturated fat: 0.82g
- Sodium: 185mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 22g
- Fiber: 0.76g
- Protein: 3.2g
- Cholesterol: 18mg
Recipe and picture used with permission.
Originally published April 22, 2010. Updated with new pictures.