Even though we have lots of herbs growing in our garden, I’m still enjoying cooking with my tubes of Gourmet Garden Herbs and Spices. (You can read my Gourmet Garden review here.) This recipe from the folks at Gourmet Garden is perfect for Meatless Monday, especially since it gets a boost of vegetarian protein from the raw almonds and lots of veggie goodness from the kale and basil. If you have a food sensitivity or allergy to almonds, use pine nuts instead.
Multigrain Spaghetti with Basil Kale Pesto
Recipe from Gourmet Garden
- 3/4 pound kale, stemmed, rinsed
- 1/2 cup whole raw almonds
- 1 tube Gourmet Garden Basil
- 2 tablespoon Gourmet Garden Garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 8 ounce multigrain spaghetti
- Bring large pot of water to boil. Submerge all kale in boiling water, stirring until bright green but still crisp for 60-90 seconds. Drain kale, and rinse with cold water to stop cooking. Squeeze dry.
- In blender or food processor combine kale, almonds, Gourmet Garden Basil, Gourmet Garden Garlic, oil and water. Blend until smooth. Add cheese. Blend. Add more water, if necessary, to reach desired consistency.
- Cook 8 ounces of multigrain spaghetti according to package directions. Drain. Toss immediately with 3/4 cup basil kale pesto. Serve immediately.
- Reserve remaining pesto for another use. Pesto will keep in an airtight container in refrigerator for 1-2 weeks. Can be frozen for up to 6 months. Makes 1-1/2 cups
- Calories 359
- Total Fat 17 g
- Sat Fat 2 g
- Cholesterol 2 mg
- Sodium 599 mg
- Fiber 10 g
- Carbs 40 g
- Protein 11 g
Recipe and picture used with permission.