I’m always interested to see what Jillian Michaels is up to, whether it’s a new book or workout video. I have several of Jillian’s best selling books in my library like Master Your Metabolism: The 3 Diet Secrets to Naturally Balancing Your Hormones for a Hot and Healthy Body!  including a review copy of her cookbook, The Master Your Metabolism Cookbook. I still go back to look up her healthy and easy to make recipes like this one for Blueberry Banana Muffins.

The Master Your Metabolism Cookbook builds on the three core principles of Master Your Metabolism:

1. Minimize the foods that are bad for you hormonally
  2. Add the whole foods that will help you
  3. Take in a healthy balance of protein, fat, carbs and calories

Jillian’s diet philosophy is based on her own experience of adrenal burnout and hormone-induced issues like hypothyroidism, melasma (facial pigmentation caused by estrogen dominance), premature aging and slow metabolism.

Looking for Jillian Michaels recipes from The Master Your Metabolism Cookbook? Here's one for easy to make Blueberry Banana Muffins. They made even moister with the addition of yogurt!

Master Your Metabolism by balancing your hormones for weight loss

First, she explains why and how you need to balance 12 key hormones: insulin, thyroid hormones, estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, DHEA, norepinephrine, epinephrine, cortisol, growth hormone, leptin and ghrelin. Then Jillian discusses power nutrients like legumes, garlic, berries, lean proteins, fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds, organic dairy, and whole grains. She’s a big believer in eating local and organic whenever possible.

Finally, Jillian explains what she wants you to avoid: hydrogenated fats, refined grains, high-fructose corn syrups, artificial sweeteners, artificial colorings and preservatives, glutamates (MSG), nitrates and nitrites. While it’s no surprise that Jillian advises you to cut back on alcohol, I was surprised to she wants you to reduce your consumption processed soy products, which she feels messes with your thyroid. She also recommends cooking all your cruciferous veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, kale, Brussels sprouts, etc.), cutting back on starchy vegetables, and reduce eating tropical, dried and canned fruit.

She has other “rules” like eat breakfast and don’t skip meals, eat every four hours, don’t eat after 9 pm, and eat 40 percent carbs/30 percent fat/30 percent protein – pretty much common sense. While her “food as medicine,” whole foods approach isn’t different from what others teach, Jillian has a way of explaining things in a direct, personal way that appeals to many people.

Click here to buy Jillian Michaels The Master Your Metabolism Cookbook!

Looking for more Jillian Michaels’ recipes? Then check these out!

What I especially like about Jillian Michaels recipes are that each one (over 125 of them!) in The Master Your Metabolism Cookbook lists their health benefits. For example, this Blueberry Banana Muffins recipe is good for your heart, boosts immunity, boosts metabolism, and promotes strong bones and healthy skin. However, her cookbook doesn’t list complete nutritional information, just calories, fat, carbs, protein and sodium. It would’ve been nice to get information on fiber, minerals and vitamins, too.

If you enjoyed Blueberry Banana Muffins from Master Your Metabolism Cookbook, you’ll love:

Spicy Mahi-Mahi and Mango Fish Tacos

Homemade Baja Fish Tacos

Tomato, Avocado, and Cheddar Burrito

Tomato-Avocado-Cheddar-Burrito

This Mama’s tips for baking up Jillian Michaels’ Master Your Metabolism Blueberry Banana Muffins recipe

• Normally I would recommend substituting toasted pine nuts for the walnuts for those with nut allergies. However, Jillian doesn’t like pine nuts because, like soy, it has goitrogenic effects, meaning it swells the thyroid gland. So leave the walnuts out if you’re allergic to them.
  • Substitute no-fat Greek yogurt for the plain yogurt for an extra protein boost. However, if the batter seems dry, add a little water to it.
  • I like adding flaxseed to baked goods for the extra fiber and ALA Omega-3. Jillian believes you should consume flaxseed only in moderation.

Blueberry Banana Muffins

Make up several batches and freeze what you don’t plan to eat right away. These yogurt muffins are great for a before workout snack, or for breakfast or dessert.

Ingredients

Directions

1. Place an oven rack in the center of the oven, then preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly spray a 12-cup muffin pan with olive oil or line with cupcake paper liners or tulip baking liners.
  2. In a large bowl, place the bananas, yogurt, honey, olive oil, and vanilla. Stir together until well mixed.
  3. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in the blueberries and the nuts, if using.
  4. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan. (A batter spoon is handy for this!) Place the pan in the oven and reduce the heat to 400 degrees F. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Remove from oven. Let cool in the muffin pan for 10 to 15 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Serve warm.
  5. For longer storage, let cool completely and store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Prep Time: 35 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
Servings: Makes 12 muffins
  • Serving size: 1 muffin
  • Calories: 216
  • Calories from Fat: 6.8g
  • Total Fat: 4.5g
  • Sodium: 234.5mg
  • Total Carbohydrates: 37.1g

Originally published on July 27, 2010. Updated with new photos and rewritten recipe instructions per reader feedback. Recipe and photos used with permission.

Looking for more healthy muffin recipes? Then check these out!

Easy Gluten Free Strawberry Yogurt Muffins

Gluten-Free-Strawberry-Yogurt-Muffins-1

Healthy Wild Blueberry Bran Muffins

wild-blueberry-muffin

Master Your Metabolism: The 3 Diet Secrets to Naturally Balancing Your HormonesThe Master Your Metabolism CookbookThe Master Your Metabolism Calorie CounterWilton Recipe Right Nonstick 12-Cup Regular Muffin Pan

Looking for Jillian Michaels recipes from The Master Your Metabolism Cookbook? Here's a recipe for blueberry yogurt muffins made with bananas that's not only good for you but is easy to make! Make these blueberry yogurt muffins for breakfast, a healthy post-workout snack, or even dessert!

39 thoughts on “Recipes from Jillian Michaels Master Your Metabolism Cookbook: Blueberry Banana Muffins

1. Pingback: More from Jillian Michaels Master Your Metabolism Cookbook: Tomato, Avocado, and Cheddar Burrito

2. Pingback: Master Your Metabolism with Jillian Michaels’ Spicy Mahi-Mahi and Mango Tacos

3. Pingback: Back to school healthy breakfast recipes: Mini Italian Breakfast Casseroles

4. Pingback: Healthy back to school snacking

5. M

I know this is an old post, but what is white whole wheat flour? Do you have any recipes that use whole-wheat flour or any tips of how to make desserts without using refined wheat?

1. annemarie Post author

M, what I’ve been doing is using half whole wheat and half white. I find that if you use 100% whole wheat, your muffins, cookies, etc. end up dry and hard. A cookbook you may be interested in is No Flour, No Sugar. You can see a sample recipe at link to thismamacooks.com.

6. Lacy

Hello, I actually tried this recipe today from my Jillian Cookbook. The results were less than glamorous. Not only was the batter very dry (attributed to my using only whole wheat flour) but the muffins were burnt within 15 minutes of being in the oven. I covered them with foil to try and save the few that weren’t scorched, but when I finally took them out around the 30 minute mark the bottoms, sides, and tops were pretty much black! Any suggestions? I followed the ingredients (aside from using solely whole wheat flour) , baking time and temps (425 then 400) to the T… Epic fail!!!

1. annemarie Post author

Lacy, whole wheat flour needs a lot more moisture than white flour, so you need to add more moisture (water, yogurt or banana) You also may want to check the temperature of your oven to make sure if it’s accurate (assuming the recipe is correct). If it’s fine, then lower the temperature to 350 or 375 and see what happens. I’m so sorry to hear that this recipe didn’t work for you and hope these suggestions help.

7. Kelly

I loved the blueberry/banana muffins so much that I decided to try them with other fruits…I made apple muffins by substituting the banana for sugar free, organic apple sauce and chopped organic apple instead of the blueberries. I also added about 1 tsp. of cinnamon. YUM!

8. Jessica

I just purchased this book over the weekend and just finished one of those muffins. I was so impressed with the recipe I got online to let people know-and here I am. I too thought the overall mix before I baked was a bit on the thick side, but assumed it was from all of the fresh bulky ingredients (blueberries and bananas). The temp was right on and my dumpy small electric oven is not exactly know for its amazing convection properties….I also didn’t user that ripe of bananas- just you’re normal just beginning to brown ones, and I thought it still came out great!

In fact, to really drive it home, my fast food slugging boyfriend loved them too!

I am so happy I bought this book!!! To those who failed the first-try try again! The results are definitely worth it!

9. Brandi H

Awesome Recipe! I just baked the bluberry banana muffins with a few changes. I used grapeseed oil instead of olive oil, added 1/2 cup organic nutty granola, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp almond extract, substituted with agave nectar, 1/2 cup flour for almond meal and omitted the walnuts. I love baking and certainly appreciate eating good food, these muffins are really good and I feel better knowing that I can control the quantity and quality of ingredients. Thanks again for a healthy recipe.

10. Rebekah B

I am a little “late” in getting with Jillian’s book and recipes – I just bought it on Friday. So, I also made the above mentioned muffins and simply loved them!
    I, too, made some substitutions though.

Instead of olive oil – I used coconut oil. (both in the recipe & in the pan)
    Instead of nonfat plain yogurt – I used nonfat greek yogurt
    Instead of 2 1/2 cups white whole-wheat flour – I used 1 1/4 c. whole-wheat flour & 1 1/4 c. coconut flour. Since coconut flour tends to be a bit drier, I also added .5 c. of no-sugar-added applesauce.
    They are very filling and will definitely be making them again!!

11. Deb

I made this recipe today and like Lacy my muffins burnt too. I followed the recipe exactly also. I do have a question, it says to use 2 & 1/2 cups of white whole wheat flour, should this be 1 & 1/2 cups instead, I looked up other banana blueberry muffin recipes and they all called for 1-1/2 cups with the other ingredients being of the same portion as this recipe. My batter was also extremely dry, I added an extra 1-1/2 tbsps water but it didn’t help, so I figured it’s supposed to be this thick and dry. Finally don’t use paper liners as half the muffin sticks to them when trying to unwrap them.

1. Anne-Marie Nichols Post author

Deb, when Lacy was having problems, I looked up the recipe and the amounts are correct – according to Jillian’s book. Others have commented that they didn’t have any problems with the recipe. So I’m wondering if the problems are due to the temperature of some people’s ovens or maybe the brand of white whole wheat flour they used.

Another issue could be the density of the flour. Are you packing down the flour in your measuring cup, so you’re using too much, maybe? Maybe preshifting the flour before you measure so it’s less dense would help since you’d be using less.

Otherwise, I’m really puzzled why everyone is having such different results.

1. Deb

Anne-Marie, I used King Arthur 100% Organic White Whole Wheat Flour, I
        did not pack the measuring cup, I did scoop it out of the cannister,
        leveled it off with a knife poured it into the sifter, 2-1/2 cups. The
        batter was so thick, thicker than cookie dough and I added water as you
        had suggested because I did use Greek yogurt but it was still so thick.
        I used cupcake liners because I did not have any olive oil spray and
        now sadly the liners are stuck to the muffins, even if you did want to
        try them you lose alot of the muffin. I did see where others did not
        have a problem so it must be me, I’m not the greatest cook so that
        wouldn’t be a big surprise… :-) Thank you for taking the time to
        respond.

1. Anne-Marie Nichols Post author

Deb, sorry I couldn’t help more. But thanks for letting me know about the problems you were having. You’re not the only one, so don’t feel bad about your cooking skills!

12. Christen

I just made these and they are great. One thing though- mine were actually slightly over done by 25 minutes. Shouldn’t it be 25-30 minutes instead of 35-40?

1. Anne-Marie Nichols Post author

Christen, everyone is having different experiences with this recipe. It’s so frustrating! Jillian’s original recipe calls for 35-40 minutes, but your oven may be hotter or some other factor (humidity, elevation, etc.) may be weighing in, too. Sorry I couldn’t help more.

13. Stephanie

I just wanted to comment that I cooked my muffins at 400 degrees and even after just 25 mins. they are very overdone/black around the sides and bottom. I check the temp. in my oven regularly so I know the temp. was no higher than 400. I can’t imagine what they’d be like after 35-40 mins! Yikes! Watch your muffins carefully.

14. Patty

I am currently on Jillian Michael’s Body Revolution workout and diet plan. This is just one of the awesome recipes she has on her program. I liked these muffins so much that I made them for my entire office and everybody loved them and wanted the recipe. I didn’t have any trouble with the muffin batter as some people seem to be describing. Anyway, this is a great recipe!

15. Chrissy

I had the same problem with the muffins way to dense and burned to easily tried it again with less time and they were almost rubbery not a fan .and I’m on this diet as well not sure I should even try again?

16. Mandee

All my baking instincts screamed that the temp and time is wrong for these muffins. I baked mine at 375 for 15 minutes and they came out perfectly moist and tender (using a standard size muffin tin). As for the thickness of the batter, I cannot have dairy or cane sugar so there are NO yogurt or yogurt substitutes that I can eat. I used 3/4 cup soy milk. However based on my baking experience I would NOT substitute Greek yogurt for plain. Greek yogurt has had the whey drained out so you are essentially subtracting liquid from the recipe, which would give you a dry batter. Hope this helps others as these are the most delicious and healthy muffins!

17. Laura

I was skeptical of the baking instructions and based on the result, I was right. Hard, dry, rocks. Sorry, won’t make again.

18. Judith

Hi there,
    Have to weigh in on this as well. We made this recipe today and within 20 minutes they smelled “ready”–luckily, we opened the oven door even though there was over 20 minutes to go on the recipe. They were overly browned at the 20 minute point. I think that someone should go back to Jillian Michael’s and have her revise the recipe. We’re pretty precise cooks here and did every step according to plan. They are pretty dry as well. Not a recipe that inspires confidence and
    I think that I can do much better.

1. Anne-Marie Nichols Post author

Judith, just as many people tell me they’ve had issues with this recipe as have had success. I’m wondering if people are following the recipe exactly as it’s written or may have an oven that’s too hot or too cool. That’s all I can figure why things may be going wrong for some folks, especially when I hear about all the substitutions they made!

19. Wendy

I had the same results as Deb. I used a brand new bag of King Arthur’s whole wheat white flour, not packed. I used European style yogurt (thin and runny). By 20 minutes the muffins were done. I like them but they are denser due to the whole wheat flour. The batter was like cookie dough.

1. Anne-Marie Nichols Post author

I don’t know what to tell you Wendy if you used the right amount of wet ingredients, used white whole wheat flour, and didn’t pack it. I’ve checked the recipe and the measurements are per what was sent to me. So the fault lies with it, I’m afraid.

20. Amanda

I used only 2 cups flour and instead of regular yogurt I used nonfat greek yogurt and baked for 23 min and turned out PERFECT!

21. Sarah

I made these and they burned after 35 minutes. I never have any issues with my oven burning things, so I’m not sure what happened. I made a second batch for 25 minutes and that was closer to what I would have expected.

22. Russell

32 pages to print this recipe out? This is a fantastic recipe. But I will never use another recipe from this website. The rain forest and the planet officially hates your webpage designer!

1. Anne-Marie Nichols Post author

Russell, there’s a Print Recipe button (it’s a big yellow star) on the recipe portion of the page. Did you not see it? You must have printed out the whole blog post! Sorry about that.