Looking for some green party food for St. Patrick’s Day that’s also healthy and naturally gluten free? This recipe healthens up a party classic – deviled eggs – by substituting avocado and plain yogurt for mayonnaise. You can sprinkle the tops with chives or blend them in for a punchier green, too!
This would also make a terrific healthy snack when the kids are reading Green Eggs and Ham at school. Or you can make it as at game day appetizer or any time you’re invited to bring a dish to a party.
Just remember not to make these too much ahead of time as the avocado will start turning a yucky dark green to an almost black, even if you add a little bit of lemon or lime juice.
Do you have a go to healthy recipe for St. Patrick’s Day?
Avocado Deviled Eggs
- 6 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and cut lengthwise
- 1 fully ripened avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 tablespoon plain low or no-fat yogurt
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeño
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- Chopped chives (optional)
- In a small bowl, place egg yolks; add the avocado and mash until smooth.
- Stir in yogurt, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper, and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in jalapeño and onion, then spoon into egg white shells, dividing equally.
- Arrange on a serving plate. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 3 hours. (Don't serve long after 3 hours as the avocado will start to darken.)
- Garnish with chives, if desired.
- Serving size: 1 deviled egg