Do you remember your mom or grandma “putting up” preserves for winter? Well, with the downturn in the economy, people growing their own produce, and the popularity of farmer’s markets and “pick your own” farms – canning is back in vogue. So much so that August 13, is National Can-It-Forward Day!
Jarden Home Brands (the Ball jar folks) has teamed up with Canning Across America, a collective of cooks, gardeners and food lovers committed to the revival of the lost art of “putting up” locally grown food, to create the first National Can-It-Forward Day. Think of it as a big party to preserve the goodness of summer!
How can you participate in National Can-It-Forward Day?
Sign up – Check out their newly redesigned website to learn more and commit to participate in National Can-It-Forward Day! By signing up, Jarden Home Brands will send you special offers, recipes and tips.
Gather up your canning gear – Find Can-It-Forward Deals for free shipping on designated kits here. Order by August 4 to arrive in time for your party.
Get social! Join the Can-It-Forward Day excitement on the Ball® Canning & Recipes Facebook Page. You can invite friends using the Facebook Event tool, too!
The folks at Jarden Home Brands sent me a Can-it-Forward Day Small Batch kit plus a few extra canning accessories to try out before the big day. My kit contained just about everything I needed to start a few canning projects, except a stock pot and the food, of course.
I had never canned before and was too intimidated to try it out. However, the instructional booklet that came with the kit made things easy. I ended up making a couple of jars of delicious Mixed Berry Jam from the raspberries, blackberries and blueberries I picked from my garden. It was easy to make (though messy!) and the Blue Book Guide to Preserving explained how to tell if the jam had jelled, which was the only tricky part.
Win a National Can-It-Forward Day home canning kit!
Jarden Home Brands has provided me with one National Can-It-Forward Day home canning kit (approximate retail value: $64) to give away to one lucky reader.
- 1 Ball® Canning Discovery™ Kit – The kit includes a step-by-step, illustrated how-to guide with 12 tested recipes, 3 jars, lids and bands and a canning rack with lifter.
- 1 jar Flex Batch Ball® Fiesta Salsa Mix
- 1 packet Flex Batch Ball® Fiesta Salsa Mix
- 1 packet Ball® RealFruit™ Classic Small Batch Pectin
- 1 jar Ball® RealFruit™ Classic Flex Batch Pectin
- 1 jar Ball® Kosher Dill Pickle Mix Flex Batch
- 1 Box Ball® Dissolvable Labels
- 1 Ball® Collapsible Funnel
- 1 Ball® Secure Grip Jar Lifter
- 1 Ball Blue Book® Guide to Preserving
- Coupons for extra canning jars and a Blue Book Guide to Preserving
The giveaway is closed. Congrats to Natalie G.!
Here’s how to win it:
- Share what canning project you’re going to make with your National Can-It-Forward Day home canning kit! Include your name, email address, and blog URL (if you have one) in the comments below for ONE entry.
- If you have a blog or giveaways listing site/post/page, feel free to post about this contest on it for ONE additional entry.
- Sign up for This Mama Cooks! Review’s RSS feed for ONE additional entry.
- Sign up for my enewsletter for ONE additional entry.
- Spread the word about this giveaway by submitting a link to this post on Twitter for ONE additional entry. You must leave your Twitter username in your comment so I can check.
- If you have done any of these activities you MUST come back here and leave a comment telling me what you did. I will be checking!
- Maximum amount of entries at This Mama Cooks! is FIVE – leaving a comment here (1), posting about it on your blog or giveaways listing site (1), signing up for my enewsletter (1), signing up for my RSS feed (1), and using Twitter (1).
- You have until midnight MT on Monday, August 8, 2011 to enter.
- ONE winner will be chosen at random.
- You must be willing to send me your full name, mailing address and phone number so I pass your info on to Jarden Home Brands PR people so they can mail out your National Can-It-Forward Day home canning kit.
- I’ll announce the winner on this blog. I’ll not share your mailing info with the public, just your name. If you have a blog, I’ll link back to it when I announce the winner.
Disclosure: I was provided with a National Can-It-Forward Day home canning kit and another to give away. All opinions are my own.