In my Planning a party? Cook up some healthy appetizers with Sam’s Club cheeses post, I showed you how to use cheese in a healthy way to flavor a dish instead of making it your main course.
If you’re into retro Mad Men parties, you could try some healthy deviled eggs. Below is another version of the classic, but this time with using one of Sam’s Club new blue cheeses. Even with the added cheese, they’re only 1 Weight Watchers POINT per half egg.
My 10-year-old son, Nathan, said these were pretty good, but they’re more of an adult indulgence due to the strong blue cheese and Tabasco flavors.
Blue Cheese Deviled Eggs
From the DeviledEgg.org
- 6 hard boiled eggs, peeled
- 1/4 cup blue cheese, crumbled – try a Blue Stilton, a Maytag Blue or even Gorgonzola
- 2 tablespoons lite or low fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 5 drops Tabasco
- 1 tablespoon minced green onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Cut peeled eggs in half length wise.
- Place yolks in a mixing bowl, set the whites aside.
- Mash the yolks with the back of a fork and add blue cheese, mayonnaise, parsley, Tabasco, green onion, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Spoon or pipe the filling back into egg white and sprinkle tops with paprika.
- Cover and refrigerate at least one hour before serving.
- Calories 51
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9g
- Saturated Fat 1.3g
- Cholesterol 96mg
- Sodium 94mg
- Total Carbohydrates 0.6g
- Protein 3.4g
Nutrition Grade B- from CalorieCount
Weight Watchers POINTS = 2 per whole egg
This Mama’s Tips
- Serve them with some Mad Men: retro shrimp appetizers or Mad Men inspired Bloody Marys.
- Everyone likes to hard boil their eggs in a different way. I prefer the following method:
- Place eggs in a small sauce pan and fill with warm water.
- Bring water to a boil.
- Cover and turn off heat.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from stove top.
- Remove lid and place in sink. Run cool water into pan until eggs are cool enough to handle.
- Lightly tap egg to break shell to remove it.
Disclosure: as a Sam’s Club Food Ambassador I receive compensation for my time and efforts and samples of Sam’s Club products.