The National Honey Board has many kid-inspired healthy honey snacks. The Honey Banana Pops is a fun one to make with the kids this summer. Plus, you can roll the bananas in everything from chopped dried fruit to graham cracker crumbs. Honey Care to Take a Dip is a healthy recipe using honey, orange juice, yogurt and fruit.
Here is one of my favorites honey inspired recipes both in its original kid-friendly form and with a more Weight Watchers friendly version for us folks watching our calories.
Peanut Butter & Honey Silly Sushi Roll-ups
Makes 2 servings
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 cup pure honey
- 2 Tablespoons nuts, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup strawberries, finely diced
- 4 skewers, optional
- Additional fresh fruit, such as kiwi, strawberries, grapes or pineapple (optional)
- Trim crusts from bread and gently press slices or flatten with a rolling pin.
- Spread each slice with 2 Tablespoons peanut butter and 2 Tablespoons honey.
- Sprinkle 2 bread slices with 1 Tablespoon nuts each.
- Sprinkle remaining slices with strawberries.
- Cut each slice in half.
- Firmly roll up each slice and serve, or thread the roll-ups and fruit onto skewers and serve as kabobs.
If your child is allergic to peanut butter, just leave it and the nuts out and add a little more honey.
Weight Watchers version – Peanut Butter, Honey and Strawberry Roll-Up
- 1 Flatout Flatbread Healthy Grain Multi-Grain wrap (1 POINT)
- 1 Tbsp of honey (1 POINT)
- 1 Tbsp of smooth peanut butter (2 POINTS)
- 3/4 cup diced strawberries (1/2 POINT)
- Lay Flatout Flatbread wrap on flat surface and spread most of the peanut butter and honey in a line vertically down the center.
- Spread some peanut butter and honey on the left edge, so when you roll the flatbread from the right, they will act as a glue to seal your roll.
- Lay sliced strawberries on the right side of the flatbread, then carefully roll the flatbread all the way up. (If you are proficient with a sushi mat, you could use it to make a perfectly shaped, tight roll.)
- You can either eat it like a burrito, or slice it with a sharp knife into sections like a sushi roll.
Weight Watchers POINTS = 4.5