Have you seen grapes at the grocery store and wondered where they’re from? They might be from Chile, since their winter-season stone fruits, berries and grapes are in ample supply throughout North America all winter long.
Chilean grapes would be a wonderful addition to your holiday table, especially in this easy but elegant recipe from the Chilean Fresh Fruit Association for Chilean Grape and Wild Rice Dressing. This holiday side dish is a perfect match for roasted meats like turkey, beef or ham. You can serve stuffing warm as a side dish or use it to stuff in a turkey.
Also, since this is a rice based stuffing, it’s naturally gluten free as long as your chicken broth is too! To make this dairy free, use a non-dairy buttery spread instead of buttery or sauté the onion and garlic in some olive oil. To make this vegan, use a vegan buttery spread (or olive oil) and a vegan vegetable broth. If you or someone in your family has a food sensitivity to nuts, use pine nuts instead or omit it altogether.
With a versatile recipe like this Chilean Grape and Wild Rice Dressing – and some ingredient substitutions – you can surely please everyone’s food sensitivities, allergies, and special diets!
Chilean Grape and Wild Rice Dressing
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups wild rice
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 3 cups fresh red and green grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 cups toasted pecans, roughly chopped
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Sauté onions and garlic. Add chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
- Add wild rice. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook 30 minutes.
- Mix in long grain rice and cover and simmer another 30 to 40 minutes until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat, stir in grapes, parsley and pecans. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serving size: 1/12 of recipe
- Calories: 285
- Calories from Fat: 135
- Total Fat: 15g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Unsaturated fat: 12g
- Sodium: 451mg
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 9g
- Cholesterol: 12mg
Recipe and photo courtesy of the Chilean Fresh Fruit Association