Last month, I made a small pledge on one of my favorite blogs, No Vacation Required, that I would inspire people to join the Meatless Monday movement by posting more Meatless Monday recipes. Well, I’ve failed miserably.
Between family stuff, work and health issues (a possible torn rotator cuff that’s keeping me from sleeping well most nights), I’ve been a bit distracted. That’s why I was so thankful when the folks at San-J sent me this recipe by Amie Valpone of The Happy Apple. Not only is it gluten free, but it’s vegetarian, too!
I love, love, love black rice. It’s actually not black but a very dark, purplish red and a bit on the sweet side. You can find it at Whole Foods, at health food stores, and online at Amazon.com. Amie’s rice bites would make terrific party appetizers, too.
Mini Black Rice Bites
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup cooked black rice
- 3 ounces baby spinach, chopped
- 2 tablespoons San-J Gluten-Free Orange Sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 5 ounce package soft goat cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons San-J Gluten Free Tamari, for dipping*
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add in cooked black rice, fresh spinach, San-J Gluten Free Orange Sauce, fresh basil, goat cheese, sea salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine.
- Divide mixture among 10 muffin cups in the prepared muffin tin.
- Place stuffed muffin tins in the oven; cook for 15 - 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven; set aside to cool for 5 minutes before removing from muffin tins; serve with San-J Gluten Free Tamari for dipping.
- Serving size: 1 bite
*Alternatively, add 1 tablespoon of San-J Gluten Free Tamari into the rice mixture along with the other ingredients instead of serving 2 tablespoons of Tamari for dipping.
Recipe and photo used with permission. © 2012 San-J International. All rights reserved.