Summertime is salad time, which is why you may want to check out Cooking Light Big Book of Salads: Starters, Sides and Easy Weeknight Dinners. It features over 150 recipes for tasty, interesting, and healthy salads that are perfect for weeknight meals, cookout sides, and mouthwatering starters. The cookbook also shows you how to buy and store greens so they stay crisp, how to spot fruit and veggies at the peak of flavor, and how to whisk homemade light dressings – great tips for saving money while eating well.
We all love potato salads at picnics and barbecues, but if you’re trying to eat healthy, you tend to stay away from them. This recipe from Cooking Light Big Book of Salads lowers the calories and fat, while punching up the flavor with fresh herbs like dill. Try it at your Fourth of July party!
Creamy Buttermilk-Herb Potato Salad
Recipe courtesy of Cooking Light
Yield: 8 servings
Serving size: about 1 cup
- 3 pounds small red potatoes, quartered
- 1⁄2 cup crème fraîche or sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 11⁄4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- Dill sprigs (optional)
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven, and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until just tender; drain. Cool 30 minutes.
- Combine crème fraîche or sour creamand next 7 ingredients (through garlic) in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Add warm potatoes; toss gently to coat. Garnish with dill sprigs, if desired. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
- CALORIES 176
- FAT 5.5g (sat 3.3g, mono 1.5g, poly 0.3g)
- PROTEIN 4.1g
- CARB 28g
- FIBER 3g
- CHOL 14mg
- IRON 1.4mg
- SODIUM 326mg
- CALC 34mg
This Mama’s Tip
To reduce calories/fat even further, substitute no fat Greek yogurt for the crème fraîche or sour cream.
Recipe and picture courtesy of Cooking Light and used with permission.
Disclosure: Amazon links are affiliate links. A commission may be earned from a referred sale to their website.