So I’m still obsessing about the movie, Chef, and constantly recommending it to everyone. For all it’s minor faults, it really was a wonderful movie, probably because it was about food, family and fun – and who could resist that? I’ve been able to track down a free cookbook download for you at Bakespace. Just click on the widget below to get some of the fabulous food truck cuisine created for Chef, the movie, by Chef Roy Choi. You may need to create a BakeSpace account to download the cookbook. It only takes a few seconds to do so.
Unfortunately, one recipe I didn’t see in the BakeSpace Chef cookbook download, was the dish that Chef Carl made in his home kitchen. It was a beautifully photographed and edited scene. The dish reminded me of this Skirt Steak and Corn with Chimichurri recipe from the June 2014 issue of Martha Stewart Living.
The steak and corn can be grilled up to a day ahead and stored separately in the refrigerator. You can then serve it cold or at room temperature. The chimichurri can also be made up to a day ahead. Just store it in the refrigerator, in a jar with a thin layer of olive oil on top. Warm the chimichurri to room temperature, then shake to combine the sauce before serving.
- 1 1/4 pounds skirt steak, room temperature, cut crosswise into 3-inch pieces
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 ears corn, husks and silk removed, cut into quarters
- 1/3 cup packed finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/3 cup packed finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves and stems
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic (from 1 small clove)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- Baguette, sliced into 2-inch pieces, for serving
- Preheat grill for direct heat. Season steak with salt and pepper. Grill, flipping once, until charred in spots, 4 to 6 minutes for medium-rare. Transfer to a cutting board; let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grill corn, turning a few times, until blistered in spots and crisp-tender, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Stir together herbs, garlic, oil, and vinegar in a bowl; season chimichurri with salt and pepper.
- Thinly slice steak against the grain. Serve with corn, chimichurri, and baguette slices.
- Serving size: 1/4 of recipe
Photo by Alpha Smoot. Courtesy of Martha Stewart Living. Copyright © 2014.