This scrumptious flourless chocolate torte, photographed so amazingly by Con Poulos for the April issue of Martha Stewart Living, may fit the bill.
What I like about this flourless torte recipe is that you can easily make it nut free by using pine nuts instead. Also, you could go dairy free by using a vegan buttery spread instead of butter to grease the pan.
And bravo for using coconut oil – such a nice touch. Along with the dark chocolate, you can almost say that this flourless chocolate cake is healthy, especially if you substitute Swerve Sweetener for the sugar!
Gluten Free Flourless Chocolate-Walnut Torte
- Unsalted butter, room temperature, for pan
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for pan
- 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup ground toasted walnuts, plus 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8-inch round cake pan. Line bottom with parchment; butter parchment and dust with cocoa.
- Melt 1/2 cup oil and 8 ounces chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring, until smooth. Remove from heat; whisk in sugar. Whisk in eggs, 1 at a time. Whisk in cocoa, vanilla, and salt; fold in ground walnuts. Spread batter in pan.
- Bake until set, about 35 minutes. Let cool completely, preferably overnight. Run a knife around edge to loosen; remove from pan.
- Melt remaining 2 ounces chocolate and 1 teaspoon oil in same manner as in step 2; spread on cake. Sprinkle chopped walnuts in center. Cut into wedges; serve.
- Serving size: 1 slice - 1/10 of torte
Recipe and photograph used with permission