Between the finches visiting our bird feeders and the trees starting to blossom, spring is certainly in the air here in northeastern Georgia. We’ve even managed to eat a couple of dinners outside on the deck, though we had to wear light jackets and sweaters. Even though it’s warming up, there’s never a bad time for a hot bowl of chili, especially on Meatless Mondays when you can substitute healthy tofu and beans for ground turkey or beef.
This vegan chili recipe from the folks at House Foods is high in protein and low in fat. With the extra vitamin C from the chili pods and the capsaicin revving up your metabolism, House Foods’ Tofu Chili is packed with both flavor and health benefits. House Foods Premium Tofu is non-GMO verified, made from certified organic soybeans grown in the US, kosher-verified and gluten free.
While great on its own, try serving the tofu chili on brown rice or quinoa.
Recipe by House Foods
- 1 package House Foods Tofu Extra Firm, drained and cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic (1 large clove)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 16-ounce can kidney beans
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 can low sodium tomato sauce
- dash paprika
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add onion and garlic and sauté until tender.
- Add vegetable broth, bell pepper, jalapeno, chili powder, cumin, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and kidney beans, stirring to combine.
- Add tomato sauce and simmer for about 30 minutes or until kidney beans and peppers are cooked through.
- Add cubed tofu and cook additional minute or two. Serve and enjoy!
Recipe and photo provided by House Foods and used with permission.