Christmas can be a real downer for those who are gluten free, especially kids who look forward to treats at holiday parties at school and at home. Even if you’re a mom who’s made the effort to make gluten free treats, you know how expensive many health food brands can be. That’s why I’m sharing this recipe from Gluten Free Rice Krispies.
Not too long ago, Kellogg’s came out with a gluten free version of their classic cereal made from brown rice. Even though I’m pretty loyal to my favorite GF brown rice cereal, I gave Gluten Free Rice Krispies a try and was surprised how tasty they were. While they’re not organic like my other favorite brand, the ingredient list is pretty straightforward – just brown rice, sugar and some salt.
Better yet, you have to love the price, especially if you can stock up during a Kellogg’s sale (and use coupons!) at your favorite discount grocery chain. With the price of groceries increasing, it’s nice to know that gluten free families can afford something like Gluten Free Rice Krispies on a regular basis.
Gluten Free Rice Krispies Tree Trimmer TreatsTM
I ADORE homemade Rice Krispies treats. They truly are one of my favorite indulgences. This recipe for Rice Krispies Tree Trimmer Treats is sure to be a hit with your kids, whether they’re gluten free or not!
Since licorice (as shown above) is NOT gluten free, you could try using strips of fruit leather instead. Or you can forego the loops entirely and “glue” the mini marshmallow on top with a dollop of icing. Also, according to this article, Kraft’s Jet Puffed marshmallows do not contain gluten.
- 12 (6-inch lengths) red, gluten free fruit leather, cut into thin strips
- 12 miniature marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 package (10 ounces, about 40) regular marshmallows
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 6 cups Kellogg’s Gluten Free Rice Krispies cereal
- Gluten free cooking spray
- Gluten free frosting
- M&M’S brand chocolate candies
- Fold each fruit leather strip in half and push ends through centers of 12 miniature marshmallows. Set aside.
- In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add 10 ounces marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Add Kellogg’s Gluten Free Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until well coated.
- Using 1/2-cup measuring cup coated with cooking spray divide warm cereal mixture into 12 portions. Using buttered hands shape each portion into ornament shape around licorice ends. Cool. Decorate with frosting and M&M’S brand chocolate candies. Best if served the same day.
MICROWAVE DIRECTIONS: In microwave-safe bowl heat butter and marshmallows on HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Follow steps 2 through 3 above. Microwave cooking times may vary.
Recipe and photo used with permission of Kellogg’s.