I love this time of the year when you can use your grill to prepare a delicious and healthy meal with a minimum of fuss or planning. One way to do that is by grilling with healthy oils such as olive oil.
Did you know that consuming just two tablespoons of olive oil daily may reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease? Olive oil has been shown to positively affect blood flow, reduce inflammation. and lower oxidative stress, all of which lead to a reduced risk of heart attack and stroke.
That’s why I’ll be sharing a few recipes from International Olive Council this week. You can find these better-for-you recipes and many more, as well as a full report on the health benefits of olives and olive oil, at addsomelife.org.
This Mama’s tips
To oil metal skewers, insert the tip of a clean skewer into the olive oil bottle. Then remove and rub oil over length of skewer.
If desired, sturdy herb stems, such as rosemary, can be used in place of skewers. The herb will also add a nice flavor to the food!
Substitute tamari sauce for the soy sauce if you're gluten free.
Chicken Mango Skewers with Lime Poppy Seed Drizzle
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons honey, divided
- 3 tablespoons soy or teriyaki sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large clove garlic, pressed or minced
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves or 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 18 chunks
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 2 (12 to 14-inch) wooden or metal skewers
- 12 (1 to 1 1/2-inch) chunks fresh or bottled mango, room temperature
- 1/4 medium red bell pepper, cut into 6 pieces (optional)
- 6 (8 to 10-inch) appetizer skewers
- Combine 2 tablespoons olive oil, 3 tablespoons honey, soy sauce, cayenne and garlic in medium bowl or large plastic food storage bag; mix well and set aside. Cut chicken into 18 pieces; add to olive oil mixture; mix to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, stirring or turning once or twice.
- Combine lime juice, remaining 1 tablespoon honey, poppy seeds, dry mustard and lime peel in food processor or mini chopper; pulse to blend. With machine running, add remaining 1/3 cup olive oil in steady stream. Blend until smooth. Pour into serving bowl or pitcher; cover and refrigerate until using.
- Remove chicken and poppy seed drizzle from refrigerator; set aside. Heat broiler to high with rack 4 to 6 inches from heat. Lightly oil 2 metal skewers and a 15 x 10-inch jellyroll pan. Meanwhile, thread chicken pieces on metal skewers, leaving 1/2 inch between pieces. Place skewers on oiled pan; broil 10 to 15 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked, turning once. Cool slightly; remove from skewers. Whisk poppy seed drizzle if needed. Thread chicken, mango and pepper chunks evenly on appetizer skewers. Serve with poppy seed drizzle.
- Serving size: 1 appetizer
Picture and recipe courtesy of the International Olive Council and used with permission.