Some of the best cocktail parties I’ve been to have had a theme. For example, there was a friend’s hillbilly party that featured BBQ, beans, and corn on the cob. The guests came in Daisy Duke shorts, square dancing dress, and overalls. Another friend has a yearly bacon party, where we all try to outdo each other in bacon-flavored pot luck dishes. Last year, I won the trophy for Most Original for my Goat Cheese and Bacon Pops made from my homemade Agave & Bourbon Smoked Bacon
After coming back from Honolulu a couple of weeks ago - I’ll be posting stories about my trip on the Sea Cuisine website soon - I’m inspired to have a Hawaiian inspired cocktail party!Since we’re moving, it’ll be awhile before we’re ready to entertain. Still, here are some of my plans:
Cocktails and mocktails
We had some amazing concoctions at the Royal Hawaiian Resort at the luau, the Mail Tai bar, and even while we were soaking in the hot tub. Some of our favorites were:
- Royal Mai Tai - fresh squeezed pineapple, fresh squeezed orange juice, cherry- vanilla purée, Bacardi superior, Cointreau and Amaretto di Disaronno liqueur topped with whaler’s dark rum
- Scratch Mai Tai – the Royal Hawaiian’s original mai tai recipe made with fresh squeezed pineapple and orange juice, orange curacao, Bacardi superior, Orgeat and a float of whaler’s dark rum
- Caipirinha de Curacao - muddled fresh lime, island sourced pineapple and white cane sugar reduction, fortified with Leblon cachaca and a dash of blue curacao
- Elderflower Saketini - Tyku Junmai Ginjo sake and St. gTrmain’s elderflower liqueur bruised with a pinch of fresh lime and cranberry
- Chi - coconut, muddled basil and fresh pineapple, pineapple juice and Tito’s handmade appleton vodka
Of course, we’d have some mocktails like Virgin Pina Coladas with coconut and pineapple juice, too!
Hawaiian food is actually a mix of Asian and Polynesian influences. A proposed menu would be:
- Hawaii-style Ahi Poke
- Steamed garlic shrimp like they serve from the shrimp trucks
- Kahlua Pork
- Lomi Lomi
- Various types of SPAM masubi (yes, SPAM sushi)
- Bowls of cut up pineapple and Hawaiian coconut cake for dessert
Food could be served buffet style or made into appetizers and small bites.
Leis and Hawaiian aloha shirts, of course! We bought so many aloha shirts at Honolulu thrift and vintage stores that we had to buy another bag to take them all home! So we have plenty to share with our guests, if needed.
Many party stores carry plenty of Hawaiian themed decorations like tiki glassware (don’t forget the long straws and paper umbrellas) and grass skirts which can be used as table skirts. I’d forego the tiki torches as we set the grass on fire the last time we used them. (Sigh.)
What’s the theme for your next cocktail party?
Orbit® gum is a global brand, enjoyed by millions of people around the world. Chew Orbit after any meal to leave your mouth with “A Good Clean Feeling®”. Eat. Drink. Chew™ Orbit! Like us on Facebook here.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Orbit® gum via Glam Media but such compensation did not influence any opinions expressed herein. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Orbit® gum.