With Cinco de Mayo just a few days away , I wanted to feature some healthy Mexican recipes this week. This recipe is courtesy of 901 Silver Tequila, a tequila that is triple distilled using only 100% Blue Weber Agave.
Campechana is a Baja Mexico-style seafood cocktail – like a cross between gazpacho and shrimp cocktail – that’s a favorite of my husband and his buddies when they fish in La Paz each year. You can serve this as an appetizer with tortilla chips.
If you want to have 901 Shrimp Campechana as a healthy lunch dish, serve it on top of brown rice in a bowl.
- 1 cup 901 Silver Tequila, plus 2 tablespoons reserved
- 1 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 can San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup tomato paste (for a spicy kick, use 1/2 cup chile sauce instead of tomato paste)
- Juice of two limes plus 1 cup of lime juice (for poaching)
- 1 small sweet onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 small cucumber, seedless or seeded, peeled and roughly diced
- 1 small Serrano chile, seeded and stem removed
- 5 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1/2 cup Spanish olives, pitted
- 1 teaspoon finely ground pepper
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 cup fresh grape or cherry tomatoes, diced or quartered
For the shrimp:
- Add 3 tablespoons of salt, 1 cup lime juice, 8 cups water, and 1 cup of 901 Silver Tequila to a large pot and bring to a low boil.
- Toss in shrimp then remove pot from heat.
- Allow to poach gently for 4 minutes or until shrimp is pink and cooked through.
For the sauce:
- Combine tomatoes, paste, lime juice, onion, garlic, Serrano chile, cucumber, basil and cilantro, olives and 3 tablespoons salt, pepper and horseradish to a food processor and pulse gently until incorporated.
- Once shrimp have cooled, toss them in with the tomato mixture.
- Slowly add in the avocado, fresh chopped tomato and add to a cocktail glass such as a martini or highball glass.
- Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of 901 Silver Tequila and serve.
- Serving size: 1/4 of recipe
Recipe and photo courtesy of 901 Silver Tequila.