Now that you have cooked and pureed your pumpkin, Chef Kristina Vanni has created this unique and easy-to-make pizza dish perfect for fall football parties or family pizza night.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 12 ounce purchased pizza crust (or use my healthy whole wheat pizza dough recipe)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 cup fresh pumpkin puree
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cubed fontina cheese
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced Spanish chorizo
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage leaves
- Additional olive oil and chopped sage for garnish (optional)
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Brush 1 tablespoon olive oil over crust and set aside.
- Heat remaining tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add shallots, garlic, and pepper flakes to hot pan.
- Sauté for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in pumpkin puree, smoked paprika, and salt.
- Cook, stirring, until sauce is thickened and hot.
- Spread sauce evenly over pizza crust; scatter with cubed fontina. Arrange sliced chorizo evenly over top and sprinkle with chopped sage.
- Place pizza on a cookie sheet or directly on oven rack, if preferred. Bake for 12 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese is melted.
- If desired, drizzle a little olive oil over pizza and sprinkle with additional chopped sage.