See my Four ways to cook a fresh pumpkin post for tips on cooking pumpkins.
Courtesy of Golden Door Executive Chef Curtis Cooke
Healthy Vegetarian Pumpkin Soup
- 10 cups pumpkin, peeled, seeded, cut into large pieces
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon grape seed oil, divided
- 1 cup shallots, minced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup white wine (substitute with vegetable stock, if you wish)
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 sachet of 6 sprigs thyme, 6 sprigs parsley, 1 bay leaf and 8 black peppercorns
- Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, toss the large pumpkin pieces with just enough grape seed oil (approximately 1/4 cup) to coat and place on a baking sheet into the oven.
- Roast the pumpkin until very tender, approximately 15-20 minutes. Cool and reserve.
- In a large stock pot, sauté the shallots, celery, and garlic in a tablespoon of grape seed oil for 5 minutes.
- Deglaze with the white wine (or vegetable stock) and reduce the liquid by half.
- Add the roasted pumpkin, vegetable stock and sachet and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove the sachet, and puree the soup in a blender, food processor or with an immersion (wand) blender.
- Adjust the seasoning with salt and serve.
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour
Total Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
Servings: Makes 8 to 10 cups
- Serving size: 1 1/2 to 2 cups