The morning rush to school has started. Since I’m the family bus driver, I’m up early, too, so I can have a quick breakfast, vitamins and coffee (and maybe a peek at the Denver Post) before we rush out the door.
I need to have protein in the morning, and eggs fit the bill. But there’s nothing more boring that scrambled eggs day after day. So I use cheese, vegetables, meats, and Mrs. Dash seasonings to jazz things up.
No, I don’t juggle my eggs. (If I only could.) Instead, I use a few special tricks to make my morning egg dishes foolproof.
- Use a non-stick pan and cooking spray so the food easily slides on to your plate.
- Use medium-low to very low heat. Since I’m running around making sandwiches and coffee, getting the newspaper, and yelling at the kids to get a move on, I can’t be hovering over the stove at all times. When the eggs are nearly done, I turn off the burner (I have a glass top range) and let the residual heat keep things warm.
- Use a lid. This is my husband’s trick. After you have your ingredients in the pan, cover with a lid, and lower the heat. This has the effect of steaming your eggs, which makes them light and fluffy. Since the lids that came with my pans are glass, I can keep an eye on things, too.
- Use 1 whole egg and 3 tablespoons of egg whites. This helps reduce calories and fat grams
- Experiment! Have fun using different types of cheeses, vegetables, meats (sausage, bacon or even deli slices) and Mrs. Dash seasoning blends. You can also use Mrs. Dash blends in scrambled eggs, omelets, egg salad, hard boiled eggs, or any other way you enjoy eating eggs.
Spinach and Feta Frittata
- cooking spray
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons egg whites
- Mrs. Dash Onion & Herb, season to taste
- Mrs. Dash Italian Medley, season to taste
- 2 tablespoons feta
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves, prewashed
- Heat small saute pan over medium low heat.
- Coat pan with cooking spray and add egg and egg whites.
- Season with Mrs. Dash blends.
- Sprinkle feta on top of the eggs evenly around the pan.
- Cover egg mixture with spinach leaves.
- Cover pan with lid. Set heat to low.
- Cook until done. Remove lid and carefully slide eggs out on to a plate. Enjoy!
- Serving size: 1 frittata
- Calories: 144
- Calories from Fat: 76
- Total Fat: 8.5g
- Saturated fat: 4.2g
- Unsaturated fat: 4.3.0g
- Sodium: 370mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 3.2g
- Sugar: 1.2g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Protein: 11.1g
- Cholesterol: 203mg
Connect with Mrs. Dash
Disclosure: I wrote this review while participating in a campaign by Mom Central on behalf of Mrs. Dash. I received the full set of Mrs. Dash seasoning blends and was compensated for my time.