OK, so maybe the flowered background was an attempt to dress up something that’s not so great looking. But who cares how it looks when you’re cooking up delicious chicken livers?!
(Fine, you chicken liver haters can go pound cake.)
No more chicken liver posts after this one, I swear...April Fools!
Sautéed chicken liver with fennel and onions
- 1 tablespoon of your favorite buttery spread like I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter Light
- 1/2 cup onions, sliced or diced (or both)
- 1/2 cup fennel bulb, sliced or diced (or both)
- 10-12 chicken livers
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt buttery spread in a sauté pan over medium low heat.
- Add onions and fennel and caramelized until golden brown.
- Add liver and sauté until cooked through.
- Add salt and pepper to season.
This Mama’s tips
- I’m not going to include nutritional information. Honestly, I don’t want to know. Since I do this once a year, I don’t care.
- If you can’t find fennel bulbs in your grocery store, you can substitute celery or just double the onions.
- If you like chopped liver, put the cooked veggies and liver in a food processor and blend until creamy. Use it as a spread on bread or crackers.
- You can use olive oil instead of buttery spread, if you wish.