I face multiple challenges when it comes to Thanksgiving desserts. They need to be gluten free (for my mother-in-law), nut free (for my daughter) and somewhat traditional (for my husband). I want Thanksgiving desserts to be healthy, too, though I don’t mind indulging. That’s why pumpkin desserts fit the bill – nutritious, nut-free, traditional, yummy, and can be made gluten free with a little tweaking.
A basic pumpkin pie recipe is gluten free except for the crust. I’ve used gluten free pie crust mixes with not-so-great results. They tasted fine and cooked up well, but they totally fell apart when rolling out the dough. What a pain! (If you have an easy gluten free pie crust recipe, let me know in the comments below.)
This year I’m making things easier by using premade gluten free crusts from Whole Foods. They’re not cheap - $6.99 for two – but totally worth it from a time savings perspective, plus they’re tasty and flakey enough for us non-GF folks.
And thanks to CanolaInfo partnering with Cheryl Forberg, R.D., consulting dietitian to NBC-TV’s The Biggest Loser, I’ll be making their gluten free Pumpkin Flan, too. No crust to worry about with this one!
Recipe by Cheryl Forberg, R.D. Nothing signals the holiday season more than pumpkin and this flan allows you to showcase it in a new, delicious way. Do away with pie crust and concentrate on yummy pumpkin flavor in this light, not-too-sweet flan. Yield: 6 servings Serving size: 1 flan Ingredients
Gluten Free Pumpkin Flan
Recipe by Cheryl Forberg, R.D.
Nothing signals the holiday season more than pumpkin and this flan allows you to showcase it in a new, delicious way. Do away with pie crust and concentrate on yummy pumpkin flavor in this light, not-too-sweet flan.
Yield: 6 servings Serving size: 1 flan
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Adjust oven rack to center position. Coat six 6-ounce custard cups or ramekins with canola oil cooking spray and set them on large baking dish with sides at least as deep as ramekins.
- In large bowl, beat eggs and egg white slightly; add pumpkin purée, maple syrup, canola oil, vanilla extract, spices and salt. Beat well with mixer. Add hot milk until blended. There will be about 3 cups of flan mixture. Pour 1/2 cup mixture into each prepared ramekin.
- Carefully pour boiling water into baking pan around ramekins. Water should come up to level of custard inside ramekins.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until set around the edges but still soft in center. When center of flan is just set, it will jiggle a little when shaken. Remove baking dish from oven and immediately remove ramekins from water bath; cool on wire rack until room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Serve cold and garnish with ground nutmeg. This dessert can be made up to 3 days in advance. Keep refrigerated until serving.
- Calories 110
- Calories from fat 40
- Total Fat 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1 g
- Cholesterol 80 mg
- Sodium 115 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12 g
- Fiber 1 g
- Sugar 10 g
- Protein 5 g
Weight Watchers POINTS = 2
Cheaters Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie
- 1 premade gluten free crust from Whole Foods (find it in the freezer section) or from your favorite gluten free recipe or GF pie mix
- 1 15-ounce can unseasoned pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 14-ounce can low-fat sweetened condensed milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Prepare crust according to directions or per your recipe.
- Position rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 425°F.
- Whisk pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves and salt in a medium bowl until well combined. Add condensed milk and eggs and whisk until smooth. Pour the filling into the prepared crust.
- Bake the pie for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350° and bake until the filling is set and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes more. (Cover the crust edges with foil if they are browning too quickly.)
- Let cool completely on a wire rack before serving.
- 292 Calories
- 9 g Fat
- 3 g Saturated Fat
- 53 mg Cholesterol
- 7 g Protein
- 3 g Fiber
- 174 mg Sodium
- 482 mg Potassium
Weight Watchers POINTS = 6
More gluten free pumpkin dessert recipes
- Pumpkin Pie Pudding from Cooking Light
- Skinny Pumpkin Latte
- Pumpkin Streusel Cheesecake (use gluten free graham crackers)
- Weight Watchers Pumpkin Mousse
- Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pie Recipe from Gluten-Free Goddess
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie Muffins from Elana’s Pantry
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies from Beyond Rice and Tofu
- Pecan Pumpkin Pie Bars (Gluten Free) from Ginger Lemon Girl
Picture courtesy of CanolaInfo.