In June, I attended the evo‘10 conference in Park City, Utah. The food bloggers were treated to a fantastic lunch at the Alpine House at The Canyons where I had the opportunity to make “Cedar Plank Smoked Caspian Flatbread” with one of their chefs.
I’ve taken their recipe and made it healthier by substituting Greek yogurt for crème fraiche, low fat Boursin for the regular kind, and using healthy whole wheat pizza dough recipe instead of their white flour flatbread recipe.
You can see what else I ate at the evo conference on Flickr. If you’re a food blogger, you may want consider attending the evo’11 conference. I recently spoke conference founder, Jyl Johnson Pattee, who told me that there will be even more food blogging programming next year!
Smoked Salmon on Flatbread
Based on the recipe from the Alpine House at The Canyons in Park City, Utah
- 1 salmon filet
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons pink sea salt
- 2 teaspoons whole pepper corn mélange
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground caraway
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel seed
- 1 ounce fresh dill
Smoked salmon procedure:
- Mix all the ingredients, except the salmon, together in a bowl.
- Using your hands, pat the spice mix on to the salmon filet.
- Cover the salmon filet with plastic wrap refrigerate for 30-36 hours.
- Remove salmon from plastic wrap and rinse spice mixture off with cold water.
- Smoke with alder wood chips. You can do this in an oven or in a smoker.
- When fish is done, cool and break up into small pieces.
Salmon smoking tips:
- How to smoke salmon in a smoker
- How to smoke salmon on a stovetop (video)
- How to smoke fish in an oven
- How to plank salmon on a grill
- Chopped up hard boiled eggs
- Chopped green onions
- Plain, no fat Greek yogurt
- Boursin Light Garlic & Fine Herbs
- Using a knife or spreader, add a thin layer of Boursin on the flatbread.
- Then add a thin layer of Greek yogurt.
- Evenly distribute remaining ingredients – chopped hard boiled eggs, green onions, caviar and salmon pieces.
This Mama Cooks! Tips
- You can buy premade flatbread or make your own using my healthy whole wheat pizza dough recipe.
- If you don’t have any caviar (Really? Come on!) use capers or sprinkle on a little sea salt. You want something salty to contrast with the rest of the flavors.
- This dish is terrific for parties - just cut the assembled flatbread into bite sized pieces.