I’ve been using Flatout Flatbread whole wheat wraps in healthy sandwiches for awhile now. They’ve become a staple in my household, like regular bread and corn tortillas. I love them!
Flatout recently came out with FOLDit Flatbread, which makes back to school lunches even easier. I prefer FOLDIt 5 Grain Flax since it contains whole grains, 8 grams of fiber, 9 grams of protein, plus they’re only 100 calories per slice. (The other types use enriched whole wheat flour, have less fiber and more calories, but all of them are delicious!) You can use them to make your favorite sandwich, whether that’s ham and cheese or PB&J. I like FOLDits for egg sandwiches.
FOLDit Flatbread Egg and Spinach Sandwich
Makes 1 sandwich
- cooking spray
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- 1 FOLDIT Flatbread
- handful of spinach leaves
- 3 to 4 sundried tomatoes (in oil or softened in hot water)
- Spray pan with cooking spray and cook egg over medium or over easy until the egg yoke is cooked through. (You don’t want runny egg all over your lunch bag!) Add salt and paper to taste.
- On a plate or cutting board, place FOLDit Flatbread, than layer with spinach leaves and sundried tomatoes.
- Place cooked egg on flatbread and fold over.
- Wrap in foil or plastic wrap and place in lunch bag. Keep cool until lunch time.
Kid friendly FOLDit sandwich ideas
- Some kids may balk at spinach. Instead, puree spinach (or chop it up in small pieces), add to an egg and scramble. While cooking, shape the egg into a patty. Place egg on flatbread and add slices of cheese and ham, and now you have a “green eggs and ham” sandwich that should be good warm or sold. Or just leave out the spinach and have an egg, ham and cheese sandwich.
- Make an egg or tuna fish salad sandwich. You can include chopped up celery and carrots or broccoli slaw. Use low or no fat mayo and some sweet pickle relish.
- Nut butters are a great source of protein. Smear it on the flatbread, add fruit like bananas, sliced strawberries, apple slices or dried fruit like raisins or cranberries. If you have a no nut policy at school, keep these for after school snacks.
- Meatloaf sandwich! Do I need to say more?
- Got vegetarian kids? Try BOCA Burgers! Cook the patty for 1 minute, just enough to defrost it. Then serve it up like a fast food burger - add slices of tomatoes, lettuce, cheese, pickles, etc. You can add a schmear of barbeque sauce, ketchup or mustard, too. Lots of kids like their BOCA burgers cold, but yours may not, so experiment at home first before you pack it in your lunch bag.
- Home for lunch? Panini it! Make your favorite FOLDit Flatbread sandwich and put it in your panini press. (I like using a small George Foreman countertop grill.)
- Other healthy spreads for FOLDit sandwiches are hummus, low fat cream cheese, Greek yogurt, low or no fat ricotta, or Laughing Cow Wedges combined with slices of your favorite crunchy veggies or fruits.
More FOLDit sandwich ideas from Flatout
- Farm Fresh Perfecto FOLDit Pizza
- Amazing FOLDit Big Juicy Burger
- Glazed Ham & Cheddar FOLDit Sandwich
- Grilled Lamb and Roasted Vegetable FOLDit Sandwich
- Honey Smoked Turkey and Brie FOLDit Sandwich
- Turkey, Swiss and Bacon FOLDit Sandwich
Disclosure: As a participant in the Flatout Flatout “I left my buns in New York City” walk at BlogHer ‘10, I received a box of Flatout product and goodies.