What is it about sandwich wraps that both kids and adults love? Maybe it’s because they’re fun to eat, easy to make, and are super portable. Whatever the case may be, wraps are the way to go for healthy back to school lunches.
First, you need to start off with a healthy, whole grain wrap. My favorite is Flatout Flatbread's Healthy Whole Grain Wraps, especially their multi-grain with flax version, which has 100 calories, 1 gram of sugar, 8 grams of fiber, and is “Best Life Diet” approved. (Their Flatout Light wraps are a healthy choice, too.) Just add some veggies and a lean protein, and you have a gangbuster of a healthy wrap sandwich.
Crunchy Tuna Wrap
- 4 ounces (by weight) of white albacore tuna packed in water (drained)
- 1 handful of premade broccoli cole slaw
- 1 tablespoon fat free, light or heart healthy mayo
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 1 Multi-Grain with Flax Flatout Flatbread Whole Grain Wrap
- Combine and mix tuna, slaw, mayo and relish.
- Spread evenly on the wrap and roll up.
- Cut into sections or eat like a burrito.
Weight Watchers POINTS = 4.5 to 5 depending on the mayo used (3 POINTS for tuna and 1 POINT for Flatout wrap)
Tips and substitutions
- You can find premade broccoli cole slaw next to the regular premade cole slaw in bagged lettuce aisle. I found it at my local Super Walmart, but not at my grocery store…yet. Mann’s Broccoli Cole Slaw is Hungry Girl approved.
- Instead of tuna, try canned wild caught salmon. Both tuna and salmon are excellent sources of Omega-3.
- Don’t like fish? Try chopped up chicken instead.
- If you prefer organic foods, try Gedney Organic Sweet Relish instead of conventional relish.
More Flatout Flatbread healthy wrap sandwich ideas
- Peanut Butter, Honey and Strawberry Roll-Up from This Mama Cooks! On a Diet
- Egg Salad with Peppers Wrap from This Mama Cooks! On a Diet
- Peanut Butter and Banana Wrap from This Mama Cooks! On a Diet
- Turkey Apple Flatout Wrap from Flatout Flatbread
- Western Omelet Flatout Wrap from Flatout Flatbread
- Spicy Smoked Turkey Club Flatout Wrap from Flatout Flatbread
- Sweet-N-Crunchy Flatout Wrap from Flatout Flatbread
- Mushroom & Chicken Fajitas Flatout Wrap from Flatout Flatbread
- Grilled Tarragon Chicken Salad Flatout Wrap from Flatout Flatbread
Disclosure: As a participant in the Flatout Flatout “I left my buns in New York City” walk at BlogHer ‘10, I received a box of Flatout product and goodies.