Tofu kabobs? Who said that only meat eaters could enjoy grilled food?
Tofu Kabobs are perfect for when your vegetarian friends come over for a barbeque. (Double check to make sure the Adobo sauce is vegetarian. If not, make a seperate skewer and use teriyaki sauce.) It’s also something you meat eaters should try since nutritionally tofu is:
- A great source of protein. One half-cup serving (approximately 4 ounces) of raw firm tofu contains 10.1 grams of protein. By comparison, 1/2 cup of milk contains 5.1 grams of protein, one whole egg contains 6 grams, and 4 ounces of ground beef contains about 26 grams.
- Low in calories. One half-cup serving of raw firm tofu contains 94 calories. By comparison, 4 ounces of ground beef contains 331 calories, and 1/2 cup of 2% milk has 60 calories.
- Low in fat. One half-cup serving of raw firm tofu contains 5 grams of fat, and low fat tofu contains 1.5 grams of fat per serving. 4 oz of beef has 15 grams of fat, while one whole egg contains 5.5 grams of fat.
- A good source of calcium. One half-cup serving of firm tofu contains about 227 mg of calcium or nearly 22% of the Recommended Daily Allowance. Check the label since calcium amounts vary by brand.
Grilled Tofu Kabobs
Makes 4 servings
- 2 (14-ounce) packages extra firm organic tofu
- 2 cups Chipotle Marinade, see recipe below
- 3 medium zucchini, cut into 1-inch circles
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1-inch wedges
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup pineapple cubes
- Slice each block of tofu in half horizontally, and, in cross-hatch pattern, make two slices vertically and two slices horizontally for total of 36 tofu cubes.
- Place tofu in nonreactive 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Pour marinade over tofu, cover and refrigerate for 1 to 24 hours.
- Heat grill or grill pan to medium heat. If using a charcoal grill, set and light fire using coals or mesquite about 30 minutes before cooking time.
- Soak bamboo skewers in hot water for 20 minutes.
- Alternating ingredients, thread tofu, vegetables and pineapple cubes on skewers.
- Place kabobs over hot coals on well-oiled grill rack. Cook about 10 minutes, or until done, turning once and taking care that vegetables don't burn.
Makes 2 cups
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup tamari soy sauce
- 1 chipotle in Adobo, minced
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons Adobo sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons granulated onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
- Whisk together broth, garlic, honey, soy sauce, chipotle and adobo sauce in 2-cup liquid measuring cup.
- Add onion powder, mustard and cilantro and mix well.
Weight Watchers POINTS = 5
(POINTS are estimated. I figured 4 POINTS for 7 oz. of either regular or low fat tofu. Then half a POINT for the marinade and half a POINT for the pineapple. The vegetables are zero POINTS.)
- Don’t want to go out an buy bamboo skewers? Try a thrift store to buy used – but cheap – metal skewers. That’s were I got mine about about 10 cents a skewer. Just wash with soap and water. If they’re grimy, use a Mr. Clean Eraser or a Brillo pad.