With only a couple weeks to Thanksgiving, you probably have turkey on your mind - and in your refrigerator. So how about trying an Extreme Fat Smash turkey dish to stay on your diet and to keep losing weight this holiday season?
Cook up these Turkey Tacos using either ground turkey meat or the equivalent in leftover white meat. If you're doing Weight Watchers, half the recipe as this dish has 12 POINTS. (Ick!)
If you've signed up with Weight Watchers Online, you may want to recalculate the recipe using 1 small corn tortilla and half of everything else. Try eliminating the kidney beans as there is plenty of protein from the turkey, and add more veggies - sauteed pepper strips would be perfect! Add some salsa, too.
- 2 whole wheat tortillas (you may want to try corn or low carb tortillas instead to decrease calories and POINTS)
- 1 Tbsp. shredded low fat cheddar cheese (if you can, skip this to lower calories and POINTS)
- 1 Tbsp. light sour cream (if you can, skip this to lower calories and POINTS)
- 1/4 cup dark red kidney beans
- 1 Tbsp. diced jalapeno peppers
- 1/2 cup shredded iceburg lettuce or cabbage
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning mix
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add chopped onion and ground turkey and cook until brown. (If you're using leftover white meat, cook onions until translucent then add the chopped up turkey meat to heat up.)
- Add tomatoes, chilis, taco seasoning and undrained kidney beans. (I've been told that the "juice" in canned beans can give you gas, so you may want to drain and rinse the beans, then add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water.)
- Cover pan and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Warm the tortillas in oven or zap them for 15 seconds in the microwave. If you're using corn tortillas you can gently warm them up in a pan or right on top of the burner. (We have electrical burners and this is what my husband does. When I try it, I ended up burning them.)
- Fill tortillas with meat mixture. Top with shredded lettuce, shredded cheese and sour cream before serving.
Weight Watcher Points = 12
For more Thanksgiving ideas, check these out:
- Giving thanks for holiday books (Thanksgiving)
- Giving thanks for pumpkin pie
- The Thanksgiving panic continues - keeping the kids busy
- The Thanksgiving panic - it's all about the pie
- Giving thanks for my readers and pumpkin empanadas
- More praise for pumpkins
- Thanksgiving leftovers