This casserole recipe is taken from Amy Dacyczyn's book The Tightwad Gazette #2. This is a standby at our house when I don't have the time or energy to make anything fancy. Just chop, measure, mix, cook and serve.
I usually double this recipe so we have lots of leftovers for my husband to take to work and reheat.
by Christina Parli of Springfield, Ohio
- 3 cups chicken broth (you can substitute vegetable broth or use water and bullion cubes)
- ¾ cup uncooked lentils
- ½ cup uncooked rice (whatever kind you have on hand, white, brown, basmati,etc.)
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- ½ tsp. basil
- ¼ tsp. oregano
- ¼ tsp. thyme
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- Blend all together in a casserole dish.
- Bake, covered for 1½ hours at 300 degrees.
- Serve with some grated cheddar cheese sprinkled on top.
Amy writes that you can cook this in your crockpot, although I've never tried that method.