Do you love a good watermelon mint salad recipe, but don’t like the kind with feta? Well, you should make Asian Watermelon Salad recipe instead!
Mint, cilantro and basil, plus sesame seed oil, tamari sauce, and citrus flavored rice vinegar gives this healthy watermelon salad recipe a unique Asian flavor.
Not only is it an easy watermelon salad recipe to make, but it makes a wonderful summer side dish for weeknight dinners or weekend BBQs.
Tips for making Asian Watermelon Salad
Also, make sure to double check that the fish sauce doesn’t have any wheat or soy sauce in it.
This mint watermelon salad recipe is also nut free since it uses pine nuts instead of peanuts. (Pine nuts are actually seeds and not nuts.)
However, pine nuts are usually manufactured on the same machinery as regular nuts. To remove allergens try this:
Rinse the pine nuts very well in warm water. Pat them dry and then sauté them for a few minutes in a hot frying pan to remove any moisture.
But when it doubt, leave the pine nuts out! Ask your allergic friends or family member for their comfort level in using pine nuts.
Don’t assume. You can always serve the pine nuts on the side.
Speaking of nut allergies, my daughter, who is allergic to nuts is also allergic to sesame seeds.
Asian Watermelon Salad Recipe
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seed oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon flavored olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon low sodium tamari sauce
- 3 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1/2 Thai pepper, seeded and minced or 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 5 cups seedless watermelon cut into 1” chunks
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- Whisk together sesame seed olive, olive oil, fish sauce, tamari sauce, vinegar, lime juice, red onion, garlic, ginger and jalapeno in a large bowl.
- Add the watermelon and toss to combine.
- Let sit 10 minutes.
- Add the cilantro, basil, mint and pint nuts to the watermelon salad.
- Toss to combine. Serve immediately.
- Serving size: 3/4 cup
Originally published on August 29, 2013. Updated with new pictures and information.