Want to make an easy edamame spread recipe for your Big Game or movie awards party? Then check out this Easy Edamame Hummus recipe.
This hummus is a good source protein not only from the edamame, but the liquid egg whites. And no need to worry that the egg isn’t cooked because you use pasteurized liquid egg whites right from the carton. Not egg whites from an egg.
Veggie sticks are another healthy party appetizer alternative.
This homemade edamame hummus would also make a terrific wrap or sandwich spread!
This Mama’s Easy Edamame Hummus recipe tips
For this recipe for edamame hummus, you’ll need 12 ounces – or 1 1/2 cups – of shelled edamame (soy) beans. If you can find them already shelled, they might be labeled as mukimame.
You can find edamame or mukimame in the freezer section of your grocery store.
The combination of liquid egg whites, sesame seeds, and garlic blended for 2 to 3 minutes is how you make tahini.
So no need to buy a big jar of it when you can easily make it using this way to make dairy free homemade edamame hummus!
Can’t find toasted sesame seeds for Easy Edamame Hummus? Look in the Asian or ethnic section of your grocery store.
Keep an eye on your blender as it may get hot while making this Easy Edamame Hummus recipe. It’s OK to wait a minute or two and let it cool down between steps.
If you have a Blendtec Blender, I highly recommend getting a Blendtec Twister Jar for making this easy recipe for edamame hummus. The unique twisting lid eliminates the need for scraping down the sides of the jar!
I used smoked paprika instead of regular paprika since I love the smoky flavor it adds. Plus, it’s so pretty on top of the green hummus, don’t you think?
- 1/2 cup liquid egg whites
- 1/3 cup toasted sesame seeds
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 ounces (1 1/2 cups) frozen shelled and cooked edamame, thawed (also called mukimame)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Meyer lemon infused olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Smoked paprika, to taste
- Serve with tortilla chips, bagel chips, and/or veggie sticks
- Place egg whites, sesame seeds and garlic in blender. Cover and blend until smooth (about 2 to 3 minutes).
- Add edamame, lemon juice, infused olive oil, and sea salt to blender. Process until well blended, scraping down sides as needed.
- Spoon hummus into a bowl and lightly sprinkle with smoked paprika.
- Chill for one hour. Serve with tortilla chips, bagel chips and/or veggie sticks.
- Serving size: Approximately 3/4 cup
- Calories: 58
- Protein: 4g
Originally published on April 9, 2015. Updated with new pictures and information.