Make a batch of these Gluten Free Crab Stuffed Mushrooms Appetizers for your upcoming holiday party. This delicious and easy to make gluten free stuffed mushroom appetizer will amaze all your guests, including the ones who aren’t gluten free! They’ll swear this is the best stuffed mushroom recipe they’ve ever had.
These crab stuffed mushrooms are heavenly. My kids were coming back for seconds and thirds. So imagine how your party guests will act!
Now these Gluten Free Crab Stuffed Mushrooms Appetizers do take some time and effort. Totally worth it as You’ll find that these Gluten Free Crab Stuffed Mushrooms Appetizers will disappear in a heart beat at your holiday party.
So, double the crab stuffed mushroom appetizers recipe. This way you can keep one batch of crab stuffed mushroom appetizers in the oven warm on a platter waiting to go!
Making world’s best crab stuffed mushroom appetizer recipe on a budget
Concerned that making too many crab stuffed mushroom appetizers will affect your party budget? Here’s a tip – use imitation crab! Make sure the brand you used (I suggest Trans-Ocean Crab Classic) is certified gluten free.
What I love about using imitation crab for mushroom stuffed appetizers and other recipes is that it’s fully cooked, sweeter and less fishy than real crab, and doesn’t fall apart in your cooking.
If you find imitation crab on sale, stock up and keep the extra in the freezer. I use imitation crab in Gluten Free Spaghetti with Pesto, Crab and Tomatoes, a family favorite.
This Mama’s tips in making Gluten Free Crab Stuffed Mushrooms Appetizers
If you’re concerned about timing, start making Gluten Free Crab Stuffed Mushrooms Appetizers the day before the party! Prepare the mushrooms (the peeling of the outer skin) and vegetable/crab stuffing the day before the party. Then cook the mushrooms and prepare the final stuffing and baking just before the party begins so your crab stuffed mushroom appetizers arrive freshly baked from the oven.
If your party is more on the casual side, have your guests help prepare the final bake by spooning the stuffing into the mushroom caps. I’m sure you have a few friends who think they’re Julia Child or Martha Stewart and would love to help bake up some crab stuffed mushroom appetizers!
Or the kids can help make stuffed mushroom appetizers. Don’t forget to bring out your extra holiday aprons, for a festive touch!
If you’re looking for a gluten free vegetable bullion powder, I recommend Massel Gluten-Free, Vegetable Flavored All Purpose Bouillon & Seasoning Granules. You can purchase it online if you can’t find it at your grocery store or health food store.
Gluten free panko style bread crumbs can be found at health food stores, natural grocery stores, and online. If you can’t find gluten free panko, you can try gluten free bread crumbs. Make your own from gluten free toast ground up in a blender. Or use gluten free cereal or rice crackers placed in a zip lock baggie and crushed with a rolling pin!
Baking crab stuffed mushroom appetizers recipes on silicone baking mats makes for easy cleanup! Since I have odd sized baking sheets, I took my Wilton Easy Flex Silicone Baking Mats and cut them to size. Since they’re inexpensive, I didn’t feel bad about “wrecking” them.
Gluten Free Crab Stuffed Mushrooms Appetizers
- 2 (16 ounce) cartons Baby Bella mushrooms, stems removed, outer skin peeled off
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup butter or buttery spread
- 2/3 cup red bell pepper, small dice
- 2/3 cup yellow onion, small dice
- 2/3 cup mushroom stems, small dice
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons gluten free vegetable bullion powder
- 1/2 cup gluten free panko style bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 (8 ounce) package Trans-Ocean Crab Classic, Flake Style, chopped into small dice
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Cover baking sheets with silicone mats or aluminum foil. Using a pastry brush, coat mushrooms with olive oil and place on baking sheets. Place in oven and roast for 10 to 15 minutes until slightly tender.
- Remove mushrooms from oven. Blot any puddles of moisture on mushrooms or baking sheets dry with paper towels. Set baking sheets aside to cool.
- In a large sauté pan over medium high heat melt butter. Add red peppers, onions, mushroom stems, and garlic to pan. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are slightly brown.
- Add water and vegetable bouillon powder. Bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Add bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, basil and crab. Mix thoroughly.
- Spoon vegetable and crab mixture into the mushroom caps. Don’t be afraid to pile on the stuffing! Distribute evenly.
- Place baking sheets in oven at 450 degrees F for 10 to 15 minutes until appetizers start to brown. Serve hot.
- Serving size: 3 crab stuffed mushrooms
Originally published on December 19, 2015. Updated with new pictures and information.