I was delighted when Holly Clegg sent me her recipe for Berry Good Oatmeal Cookie Cake from her Too Hot in the Kitchen cookbook to feature here at This Mama Cooks! On a Diet. With patriotic holidays like Memorial Day and Fourth of July coming up, you’ll need an oatmeal cookie cake recipe that’s ideal for serving healthy red and blue fruits of the season, like strawberries, raspberries and blueberries.
For Father’s Day and other backyard parties, you could try slices of other fruits like kiwi, star fruit, peaches, blackberries, banana, and pineapple on your giant oatmeal cookie.
Berry Good Oatmeal Cookie Cake cooking and serving ideas
If you’d like to make this Berry Good Oatmeal Cookie Cake recipe gluten free, make sure to use an all-purpose gluten free flour. (I like Bobs Red Mill Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour.) You’ll also need to use certified gluten free oatmeal (I like Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Old Fashioned Rolled Oats) and gluten free vanilla extract.
If you're nut free, eliminate the almond extract and add a little more vanilla extract.
You may want to bake and serve this giant oatmeal cookie on a pizza stone or pizza pan. The Wilton Perfect Results Pizza Stone comes with a chrome serving rack. Or you can bake the Berry Good Oatmeal Cookie Cake on a Lodge Cast Iron Pizza Pan, which has awesome reviews and can be used as a skillet for eggs, pancakes, steaks, fish – you name it! (I LOVE cooking with Lodge cast iron on my induction cooktop!)
Berry Good Oatmeal Cookie Cake, the ultimate summer dessert
Want a fun and delicious summer fruit desert? You’ll want this delectable Berry Good Oatmeal Cookie Cake recipe on any summer menu from holidays to barbecues.
I like that this big cookie cake dessert is easy to make and you can also make it ahead of time. Each piece of berry decadence tastes like your favorite cookie cake and cheesecake in one bite.
Think of this as a giant oatmeal cookie topped with the almond fruity cream cheese filling decorated with a luscious red and blue berry combination. Oatmeal crust, with sweet cream cheese filling, berries and the apricot glaze make this dessert not only picture perfect, but absolutely out of this world!
Berry Good Oatmeal Cookie Cake
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 6 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves, divided
- 2 cups raspberries
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- Preheat oven 350°F. Coat 12-14-inch pizza pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In large bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, baking soda, and oatmeal. Add melted butter, vanilla, and egg, mixing well.
- Press onto prepared pan, keeping dough 1-inch from edge of pan. Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are set. Don’t overbake. Cool.
- In mixing bowl, beat together cream cheese, confectioners sugar, almond extract, and 1/4 cup apricot preserves until creamy. Spread on cooled crust and arrange fruit in design on pizza.
- In microwave-safe dish, heat remaining 1/4 cup apricot preserves and orange juice, just until melted. Spoon glaze over fruit. Refrigerate until serving.
- Serving size: Varies
- Calories: 220
- Calories from Fat: 79 (36%)
- Total Fat: 9g
- Saturated fat: 5g
- Unsaturated fat: 4g
- Sodium: 172mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 32g
- Sugar: 17g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 4g
Dietary Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 2 fat
Pictures and recipe used with permission of author.
Holly Clegg's Trim & Terrific Gulf Coast Favorites: Over 250 easy recipes from my Louisiana KitchenHolly Clegg's trim&TERRIFIC Too Hot in the Kitchen: Secrets to Sizzle at Any Age - 200 Simple and Sassy RecipesHolly Clegg's trim&TERRIFIC EATING WELL TO FIGHT ARTHRITIS: 200 easy recipesHolly Clegg's Trim & Terrific Freezer Friendly Meals