Pulled pork tacos are always a go-to meal at my house when I don’t know what else to make. It’s one of my favorite slow cooker pork recipes because it’s so quick and easy to put together in the morning before I start my day. I always stock up on pork loin when it’s on sale and keep several in the freezer just to make this Mexican flavored pulled pork recipe when I’m all out of ideas for dinner.
These slow cooker pork tacos have become such a family and friend favorite that I make them for parties, which why we’ve come to call this recipe the Best Slow Cooker Spicy Pulled Pork Tacos!
Make Best Slow Cooker Spicy Pulled Pork Tacos for Family Taco Night
The beauty of Family Taco Night is that it’s easy to put together, quick to clean up, and everyone can usually find something they like to eat. With that in mind, my Best Slow Cooker Spicy Pulled Pork Tacos recipe isn’t too spicy – unless you like your pulled pork that way! While I use ground chipotle chile pepper along with diced green chilies, you have the option of turning up the heat by adding some cayenne pepper or jalapeno chilies if you wish.
I also use smoked paprika in this slow cooker recipe, so you get the smoky taste of pulled pork done in a grill or smoker without the hassle of setting one up! Plus, what could be easier to clean up than a slow cooker, especially if you use a slow cooker liner!
How do you serve your Best Slow Cooker Spicy Pulled Pork Tacos?
I like serving my Best Slow Cooker Spicy Pulled Pork Tacos on warm soft corn tortillas street taco style with the following toppings:
- chopped cilantro
- salsa – sweet, verde and/or fresca
- Mexican hot sauce (My son, the hot sauce expert, loves Cholula Original Mexican Hot Sauce. I like Valentina Salsa Picante Mexican Hot Sauce, which is not as hot.)
- shredded Mexican-style cheese
- crumbled queso fresca
- wedges of lime
- diced tomatoes
- slices of avocado
- chopped green onions
- non-fat Greek yogurt
I usually heat my corn tortillas on a griddle pan and then keep them warm in an insulated fabric pouch tortilla warmer. I love my tortilla warmer! So much better than keeping them warm (and drying them out) in the oven!
12 Inch Tortilla Warmer Insulated Microwaveable Fabric Pouch12 Inch Tortilla Warmer Insulated Microwaveable Fabric Pouch10 Inch Tortilla Warmer Insulated Microwaveable Fabric Pouch12 Inch Tortilla Warmer Insulated Microwaveable Fabric Pouch
More ways to serve up Slow Cooker Spicy Pulled Pork
You’ll probably notice that I made a huge amount of pulled pork in my large, six-quart slow cooker, since you cannot get a pork loin smaller than six pounds where I live in Georgia. People are serious about their pork recipes around these parts!
If you have the same situation in your hometown, that means you’ll have plenty of pulled pork leftovers after Taco Tuesday. Here are some serving and pulled pork recipe ideas besides pork tacos:
- pulled taco bowls – served the shredded pork on white or brown rice with salsa, cheese, cilantro, etc.
- pulled pork burritos
- leftover pulled pork can be reheated in a skillet along with eggs and potatoes in a pulled pork breakfast hash style dish
- use the pork leftovers to make a big pot of Posole Soup
- pulled pork sandwiches – use enchilada sauce or a spicy mole sauce instead of barbecue sauce.
- Make Healthy Gluten Free Leftover Enchiladas. If you’re gluten free, I like Old El Paso Enchilada Sauce, since it doesn’t contain any gluten. Or you can cook up a batch of Emeril Lagasse’s Easy Enchilada Sauce and substitute all purpose gluten free flour for regular flour. I’ve made Emeril’s sauce this way, and it rocks!
You can also save this easy slow cooker recipe for when you’re throwing a Taco Night Party. Or freeze half the shredded pork after cooking for a future Family Taco Night.
This Best Slow Cooker Spicy Pulled Pork Tacos recipe is incredibly versatile, so I’m sure you’ll think of many ways to serve it up.
World's Best Slow Cooker Spicy Pulled Pork Tacos
- Cut the pork loin into 3 pieces so it will cook more quickly. Place pork in your slow cooker.
- Place canned tomatoes, chilies and seasonings in a medium sized mixing bowl. Stir until combined.
- Pour spicy tomato mixture over the pork, evenly covering it.
- Place lid on slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours or until pork is tender enough to pull apart with a fork.
- When cooked through, remove pork from slow cooker and place in a large casserole dish. Pull apart – or shred – pork with two meat forks.
- Strain the liquid from the slow cooker to capture smaller pieces of pork and diced tomato. Set reserved liquid aside.
- Place shredded pork and tomatoes back into crock. Taste meat. If you feel it's a bit dry add some of the reserved liquid and mix in. (Toss remaining liquid.) Cover crock with lid and turn slow cooker off.
- Place pulled pork and your favorite taco fillings in corn tortillas. Enjoy!
- Serving size: 1/4 to 1/8 of recipe
Originally published in May 10, 2013. Updated with new pictures.